UNCG (9-3) vs. Morgan State (1-10), Norfolk State (3-8), Gardner-Webb (4-6), Sept. 17-18, Fleming Gymnasium
Livestats: UNCGSpartans.com (All games) - click here
Live video: Spartan All Access (UNCG games only)
Gardner-Webb vs. Norfolk State - 4 p.m.
Morgan State vs. UNCG - 7 p.m.
Norfolk State vs. UNCG - 10:30 a.m.
Morgan State vs. Gardner-Webb - 12:30 p.m.
Norfolk State vs. Morgan State - 5 p.m.
Gardner-Webb vs. UNCG - 7:30 p.m.
- UNCG will welcome Gardner-Webb, Morgan State and Norfolk State to town this weekend as the Spartans host the schools for the Spartan Spiketacular. Action begins on Friday at 4 p.m. as Gardner-Webb faces Norfolk State before UNCG plays Morgan State at 7 p.m. UNCG returns to the court on Saturday for a 10:30 a.m. match with Norfolk State before Morgan State and Gardner-Webb play at 12:30 p.m. The tournament concludes Saturday night with Norfolk State and Morgan State playing at 5 p.m. before UNCG wraps up the tournament with a 7:30 p.m. contest with Gardner-Webb.
- On Wednesday night, the Spartans hosted cross town rival North Carolina A&T in the home-opener for UNCG. Ariel Newman led UNCG offensively with nine kills from her outside hitter position. Alissa Beaudway added eight kills for UNCG and posted a .500 hitting percentage, while Olivia Humphries had seven kills and a career-high seven service aces.
- Last weekend, UNCG traveled to Johnson City, Tenn. where it went 1-2 at the Buccaneer Classic. The Spartans began the tournament with a 3-1 victory over UNC Asheville, but fell to East Tennessee State, 3-1, and Austin Peay, 3-0, on Saturday. Senior Alissa Beaudway earned all-tournament team honors for her efforts over the weekend.
- The Spartans are 3-2 in the all-time series against Gardner-Webb, 2-0 against Morgan State and 1-0 all-time versus Norfolk State. The last time the Spartans face Gardner-Webb was in 2006 as UNCG won in five sets at the Runnin' Bulldog Invitational. UNCG last played Morgan State in 2007 at the 49ers Volleyball Tournament as the Spartans came out on top, 3-2. The only time UNCG and Norfolk State have played in school history was earlier this season at the Spartan Classic. UNCG fell behind 2-0 in the match, but rallied to win the final three sets for the win.
- Senior Kayren Finney is off to a great start this season as she currently leads the Southern Conference in blocks. She currently has 54 blocks this season for a 1.46 blocks per set average. Her 1.46 blocks/set average also ranks her 10th nationally this week. Ari Lysacek also shows up as she is tied for the league lead in service aces per set. She has a league-high 19 aces for a 0.47 aces/set average, which ties her with Christine Perzinski from Davidson. Also, Caley Redden is eighth in the SoCon in digs and Kellie Orewiler is 10th with 3.35 and 3.15 digs/set, respectively.
- The Spartans began the 2010 season with an impressive 8-1 record over their first nine matches. That marked the best start in school history since UNCG began the 1994 season 9-1.
- The Spartans kicked off their 2010 season by claiming the Spartan Classic title in Norfolk, Va. On Friday, UNCG swept Navy, 3-0, to begin the tournament before defeating Kent State, 3-1. UNCG came back on Saturday and beat host Norfolk State in five sets and then dismantled Providence, 3-1.
- In addition to winning the Spartan Classic, sophomore Olivia Humphries and junior Ariel Newman earned all-tournament honors. Humphries won the tournament's Most Outstanding Player award, as well.
- UNCG returns eight players, including four starters, from the 2009 squad that went 17-14 overall and 9-7 in the Southern Conference. The Spartans finished the season tied for third in the North Division and missed making the postseason by one game.
- Before the season, the Spartans were tabbed to finish in fourth place in the North Division by the head coaches in the SoCon. Samford was picked to win the North Division, while reigning SoCon Tournament Champion College of Charleston was chosen to claim the South Division.
- The Spartans welcome seven newcomers to the program this year. Sarah Eldridge comes in as a junior after transferring from a successful two years at Cowley County Community College, while Karrian Chambers, Samantha Deutchman, Lara Keyes, Kellie Orewiler, Karen Stedman and Savannah Tomlinson enter as freshman.
- The Spartans lost three seniors to graduation at the completion of the 2009 season, including former libero Catherine Hanners. Upon the completion of the season, she was named the SoCon Libero of the Year, as well as earning second-team All-SoCon honors.
- UNCG -