Spartans hit the road for the Buccaneer Classic this weekend
UNCG (7-1) vs. UNC Asheville (4-3), East Tennessee State (4-3) and Austin Peay (6-1), Sept. 10-11, 4:30 p.m., 12:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., Johnson City, Tenn., Brooks Gym
- Carrying a 7-1 record to begin the season, UNCG looks to build upon that as the Spartans travel to Johnson City, Tenn. this weekend for the Buccaneer Classic. The Spartans will begin their stay at the tournament on Friday with a 4:30 p.m. match against UNC Asheville. UNCG will wrap up play on Saturday with matches against East Tennessee State and Austin at 12:30 and 4:30, respectively.
- This past weekend, UNCG traveled to Wilmington, N.C. and went 2-1 at the UNCW Courtyard by Marriott Tournament. The Spartans began the tournament with a 3-0 sweep of South Carolina State, but followed by droppin their first match of the season in a 3-2 loss to UCF. UNCG ended the tournament by defeating host UNC Wilmington, 3-0. Kayren Finney and Caley Redden were named to the all-tournament team for their efforts.
- Last Wednesday, the Spartans traveled to North Carolina Central where they swept the Eagles, 3-0. Olivia Humphries led the Spartan attack as she recorded a match-high eight kills on the evening, while Billi Baker and Ariel Newman each added seven kills. Caley Redden and Karrian Chambers also contributed six kills each and Kayren Finney added five. Ari Lysacek added a match-high assists and Kellie Orewiler had a match-high 12 digs.
- The Spartans are 8-5 all-time against UNC Asheville, 6-12 versus East Tennessee State and 1-0 when facing Austin Peay. The last time UNCG faced UNC Asheville and East Tennessee State was in the UNCA Volleyball Classic in 2006. The Spartans lost to ETSU, 3-0, but defeated UNC Asheville later in the tournament, 3-2. The Spartans' lone meeting against Austin Peay was in 2007 at the UNCG/High Point Triad Challenge where UNCG came out victorious, 3-2.
- Senior Kayren Finney is off to a great start this season as she currently leads the Southern Conference in blocks. She currently has 48 blocks this season for a 1.60 blocks per set average. That is .06 block/set more than second place and .33 block/set over third place. Setter Ari Lysacek also shows up as she ranks fourth in assists per set with 8.32 and is also fourth in service aces with 0.46 per set.
- The Spartans kicked off their 2010 season by claiming the Spartan Classic title in Norfolk, Va. On Friday, UNCG swept Navy, 3-0, to begin the tournament before defeating Kent State, 3-1. UNCG came back on Saturday and beat host Norfolk State in five sets and then dismantled Providence, 3-1.
- In addition to winning the Spartan Classic, sophomore Olivia Humphries and junior Ariel Newman earned all-tournament honors. Humphries won the tournament's Most Outstanding Player award, as well.
- UNCG returns eight players, including four starters, from the 2009 squad that went 17-14 overall and 9-7 in the Southern Conference. The Spartans finished the season tied for third in the North Division and missed making the postseason by one game.
- Last week, the Spartans were tabbed to finish in fourth place in the North Division by the head coaches in the SoCon. Samford was picked to win the North Division, while reigning SoCon Tournament Champion College of Charleston was chosen to claim the South Division.
- The Spartans welcome seven newcomers to the program this year. Sarah Eldridge comes in as a junior after transferring from a successful two years at Cowley County Community College, while Karrian Chambers, Samantha Deutchman, Lara Keyes, Kellie Orewiler, Karen Stedman and Savannah Tomlinson enter as freshman.
- The Spartans lost three seniors to graduation at the completion of the 2009 season, including former libero Catherine Hanners. Upon the completion of the season, she was named the SoCon Libero of the Year, as well as earning second-team All-SoCon honors.
- UNCG -