UNCG (4-0) vs. North Carolina Central (1-4), Sept. 1, 6:00 p.m., McDougald-McLendon Gymnasium
- UNCG volleyball returns to regular-season competition on Wednesday as the Spartans travel to Durham, N.C. for a 6 p.m. contest against North Carolina Central.
- On Monday night, UNCG hosted Wingate for an exhibition match. The Spartans swept the Bulldogs, 3-0, behind a 15 kill, 16 dig effort from Caley Redden. Freshman Karrian Chambers also had seven kills for UNCG offensively. Billie Baker had double-digit kills with 12 and setter Ari Lysacek had 25 assists.
- Last weekend, the Spartans kicked off their season by claiming the Spartan Classic title in Norfolk, Va. On Friday, UNCG swept Navy, 3-0, to begin the tournament before defeating Kent State, 3-1. UNCG came back on Saturday and beat host Norfolk State in five sets and then dismantled Providence, 3-1.
- Wednesday's meeting will be just the third time that the two teams have met. The two sides first met in 2006 when UNCG swept the Eagles, 3-0, at the Runnin' Bulldog Invitational. The Spartans swept North Carolina Central again last season at home.
- North Carolina Central opened its season last weekend as the Eagles hosted five teams for the Hilton RTP/NCCU Volleyball Tournament. The Eagles fell to Gardner-Webb, Elon, Charleston Southern and UT-El Paso before defeating Delaware State in the tournament finale.
- UNCG returns eight players, including four starters, from the 2009 squad that went 17-14 overall and 9-7 in the Southern Conference. The Spartans finished the season tied for third in the North Division and missed making the postseason by one game.
- Last week, the Spartans were tabbed to finish in fourth place in the North Division by the head coaches in the SoCon. Samford was picked to win the North Division, while reigning SoCon Tournament Champion College of Charleston was chosen to claim the South Division.
- The Spartans welcome seven newcomers to the program this year. Sarah Eldridge comes in as a junior after transferring from a successful two years at Cowley County Community College, while Karrian Chambers, Samantha Deutchman, Lara Keyes, Kellie Orewiler, Karen Stedman and Savannah Tomlinson enter as freshman.
- The Spartans lost three seniors to graduation at the completion of the 2009 season, including former libero Catherine Hanners. Upon the completion of the season, she was named the SoCon Libero of the Year, as well as earning second-team All-SoCon honors.
- UNCG -