UNCG at 2012 Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships, April 20-21, Cullowhee, N.C.
- The UNCG men's and women's track teams will travel to Cullowhee, N.C., for this weekend's Southern Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships hosted by Western Carolina University.
- For the UNCG women, Ginny Cronley, Shannon Hall and Kelly Montague will compete on Saturday. Paul Katam, Dylan Belles, Eric Williams, Brian Carrington and Taylor Hurst will be the men competing for the Spartans on day one of the meet.
- On Sunday, Joey Thompson, Paul Chelimo, Abraham Kemboi and Tyron Alston will all compete in the 1,500 meters. Ashley Schnell, Kerry Hartman, Chelsea Sumney, Shaina Sumney and Jade Farlow will run the 1,500m on the women's side.
- Two weeks ago at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif., Chelimo posted the second-fastest time in the country for 5,000 meters at 13.32.89. That performance came just one week after Chelimo recorded the nation's fastest time in the 1,500m at the Raleigh Relays with a time of 3.40.25.
- This outdoor season, Schnell set a new school record in 1,500m at the Winston-Salem State Collegiate Invitational with a time of 4:23.57. She followed that with an impressive performance in the 5,000m at the Stanford Invite, finishing in 16:01.54.
- The Spartans have fared well at the SoCon Championships this year, with the men and the women winning cross country team titles and Schnell and Chelimo winning individual titles. The women were seventh and the men eighth at this season's indoor track championships, with Schnell and Chelimo winning titles in the mile and both the men and women winning distance medley relay titles.
- UNCG's men finished ninth and the women finished seventh at last season's outdoor championships in Birmingham, Ala. Schnell and the Sumney sisters earned all-conference distinction, with Schnell winning the 1,500m.
- A full schedule of events and live results for the Southern Conference Championships can be found here.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- Track events will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday.
- UNCG -