Buccaneers topple UNCG, 4-3
CHARLESTON, S.C. – UNCG's women's tennis team won the doubles point but saw Charleston Southern take four singles wins to rally for the 4-3 win at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Saturday.
The Spartans (5-4) got off on the right foot with wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead clinched the point at No. 2, taking a 9-8 (7-3) win over Yvonne Hubler and Alexandra Walters. Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios downed Alia Nour and Angelica Sidorenko at No. 3, 8-6.
At No. 1, CSU's Marija Dzakovic and Olga Makhova snapped Lucy Dougherty and Niltooli Wilkins' six-match winning streak with an 8-5 win.
Hubler pulled the Buccaneers (5-1) even with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Whitehead at No. 3 singles, and Walters put CSU on top with 6-1, 6-2 win over Dougherty at No. 5.
UNCG's Wilkins made it 2-all with her 6-4, 7-5 win over Makhova at No. 1, but Dzakovic reclaimed the lead for the Bucs with a 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) triumph over Rios at No. 4.
Nour, a freshman, clinched the match for Charleston Southern at No. 6, rebounding from a first-set loss to take a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over classmate Stephanie Falcon.
Dilara Yurtkuran earned a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win over Sidorenko at No. 2 as UNCG took victories at the top two flights.
UNCG returns to action March 17 at Samford when it opens Southern Conference play.
Charleston Southern 4, UNCG 3
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Olga Makhova (CSU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Angelica Sidorenko (CSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Yvonne Hubler (CSU) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
4. Marija Dzakovic (CSU) def. Annette Rios (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Alexandra Walters (CSU) def. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alia Nour (CSU) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Marija Dzakovic/Olga Makhova (CSU) def. Lucy Dougherty/Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) 8-5
2. Devon Sutherland/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Yvonne Hubler/Alexandra Walters (CSU) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Alia Nour/Angelica Sidorenko (CSU) 8-6
Charleston Southern 5-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,1,4,6,2)
- UNCG -