UNCG welcomes Pirates to Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center
UNCG (1-2) vs. East Carolina (0-3), Feb. 11, Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center, 11:30 a.m.
- UNCG's women's tennis team will host East Carolina at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center on Saturday. The match has been moved from a 10 a.m. start to an 11:30 start. Admission is free.
- The Spartans swept UNC Asheville 7-0 at Piedmont Indoor on Feb. 4 to improve to 1-2 on the season. Niltooli Wilkins, Dilara Yurtkuran, Alex Whitehead, Annette Rios, Stephanie Falcon and Devon Sutherland all took straight-sets wins in singles action at Nos. 1-6, respectively. Wilkins and Whitehead won at No. 1 doubles, Rios and Kayla Gammie won at No. 2 and Sutherland and Falcon won at No. 3.
- UNCG opened the season with losses to No. 4 North Carolina and Indiana.
- Wilkins and Lucy Dougherty are ranked 40th nationally in doubles. The duo is 10-6 so far on the season with a 1-1 dual mark.
- Wilkins and Falcon pace UNCG in singles wins with 12 each so far, including fall matches. Wilkins is 12-6 overall, while Falcon is 12-4. In doubles play, Falcon and Sutherland are 7-3 together, while Whitehead and Dilara Yurtkuran are 6-3.
- East Carolina, coming off back-to-back 18-win seasons, has opened the season 0-3 and plays at North Carolina Central on Friday at 5:30 p.m.
- The Pirates lost to No. 60 Virginia Tech 7-0 to open the season on Jan. 28 and followed that up with a 6-1 loss to UCF on Feb. 2 to open Conference USA play. Renata Bakieva picked up ECU's lone win against the Golden Knights at No. 5 singles. The Pirates fell to 0-3 with a 7-0 loss to Tulane on Feb. 3 in Orlando, Fla.
- UNCG took a 5-2 win over East Carolina in Greenville, N.C., on Feb. 16 of last season. The Spartans won the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 2, while Wilkins (No. 1), Stephanie Macfarlane (No. 3), Dougherty (No. 5) and Rios (No. 6) earned singles wins. For ECU, Petra Vogel (No. 2) and Natalie Collins (No. 4) grabbed singles wins and Manon Bissat and Neena Wanko won at No. 3 doubles.
- The Spartans and Pirates also squared off this fall at the Davidson Fall Invitational on Sept. 9-10. UNCG's Wilkins (No. 1), Whitehead (No. 2), Falcon (No. 7) and Gammie (No. 8) and ECU's Bissat (No. 4), Yilan Zhang (No. 5) and Collins (No. 6) won their respective singles flights. Dougherty and Wilkins won No. 1 doubles, Whitehead and Yurtkuran took No. 2 and Gammie and Sutherland took No. 4, while ECU's Collins and Zhang won No. 3. In head-to-head battles between the schools, UNCG went 6-3 against ECU in singles play and 4-1 in doubles play.
- After hosting ECU, UNCG will take on Gardner-Webb at the UNCG Tennis Courts on Feb. 21 at 2 p.m.
- UNCG -