UNCG to open fall slate at Davidson Fall Invitational
UNCG at the Davidson Fall Invitational, Sept. 9-10, Davidson, N.C.
- UNCG's women's tennis team will open the fall portion of the 2011-12 season when it takes part in the Davidson Fall Invitational in Davidson, N.C., on Friday and Saturday.
- The Spartans will send all eight student-athletes on the team to the tournament.
- UNCG will be joined at the flighted tournament by East Carolina, Campbell and host Davidson.
- The Spartans had a successful run at the Davidson Fall Invitational last season, winning five of their seven singles matches on day one and eight of 12 on day two. UNCG also won six of its nine doubles matches on the weekend. Niltooli Wilkins, playing in her first tournament for the Spartans after transferring from Minnesota, was nearly flawless on the weekend, going 3-0 in singles and 2-1 in doubles. Then-freshmen Dilara Yurtkuran (3-0 singles, 1-1 doubles) and Devon Sutherland (2-0 singles, 2-1 doubles) also had successful debuts, both going a combined 4-1. Alex Whitehead (1-1 singles, 2-1 doubles) and Annette Rios (2-1 singles, 2-1 doubles) also turned in solid showings.
- The Spartans are coming off a season that saw them go 15-7 overall and 9-1 in the Southern Conference to finish second in the league. Wilkins had an outstanding season, going 28-8 overall in singles and 17-3 in dual play to earn All-Southern Conference First-Team honors. Wilkins teamed with Lucy Dougherty to earn first-team doubles honors, as the duo went 20-3 overall and 18-2 in dual action. Whitehead earned first-team doubles accolades, as well, teaming with the now-graduated Stephanie Macfarlane to go 27-10 overall and 18-2 in dual play.
- UNCG returns the majority of its lineup from last season, including Wilkins, Dougherty, Whitehead, Rios, Southerland and Yurtkuran. The Spartans add freshmen Stephanie Falcon and Kayla Gammie to the mix this year.
- The Davidson Fall Invitational is the first of six fall events in which UNCG will participate. The Spartans will also compete at the UVa Fall Invitational, the Wake Forest Invitational, the Riviera/ITA Women's All-American Championship in Pacific Palisades, Calif., the USTA/ITA Regional Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., and the Kitty Harrison Invitational, also in Chapel Hill.
- UNCG -