ELON, N.C. – UNCG swept all three doubles matches before winning the first four singles matches en route to a 5-2 win over backyard-rival Elon on Wednesday afternoon at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
For the 15th time this season, UNCG (13-5, 8-1 Southern Conference) began the match by winning the doubles point. Devon Sutherland and Mikayla Rogers got things going for the Spartans with an easy 8-0 win at No. 3.
Niltooli Wilkins and Lucy Dougherty followed with an 8-2 win at No. 2 to clinch the doubles point and improve their overall record to 16-2 this spring. Stephanie Macfarlane and Alex Whitehead are now 15-2 in doubles after their 8-2 win at No. 1.
Wilkins carried the momentum into her singles match as she scored a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 1 to move to 16-2 this spring. Rogers also made quick work of her opponent with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 6 to give the Spartans a 3-0 lead.
Macfarlane clinched the win for UNCG at No. 3 singles as she earned a 6-4, 6-3 win over Frida Jansaker. Dougherty gave the Spartans an impressive 5-0 lead in the match with her 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5) win at No. 5 singles.
The Phoenix (10-10, 5-5 SoCon) weren't able to get on the board until the waning moments as Viviana Stavreva scored a hard-fought 7-6 (4), 6-4 win at No. 4. Bryn Khoury was able to close out the match with a 7-6 (4), 7-5 win at No. 2 to make the final score, 5-2.
The Spartans will play their final nonconference match of the season on Friday as they travel to Gardner-Webb for a 2:30 p.m. match.
UNCG 5, Elon 2
1. Stephanie Macfarlane/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Jordan Johnston/Briana Berne (Elon), 8-2
2. Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Frida Jansaker/Bryn Khoury (Elon), 8-2
3. Devon Sutherland/Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Viviana Stavreva/Kaylyn Smialek (Elon), 8-0
Order of finish: (3,1*,2) *clinched doubles point
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Jordan Johnston (Elon), 6-1, 6-3
2. Bryn Khoury (Elon) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG), 7-6 (4), 7-5
3. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) def. Frida Jansaker (Elon), 6-4, 6-3
4. Viviana Stavreva (Elon) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG), 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Briana Berne (Elon), 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
6. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Jessica Margolis (Elon), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish (1,6,3*5,4,2) *clinched match
- UNCG -