STATESBORO, Ga. – UNCG swept the doubles point and then took five of the six singles matches as it remained undefeated in conference play with a 6-1 win over Georgia Southern on Friday afternoon.
The Spartans (12-4, 7-0 Southern Conference) continued their impressive doubles play this season as they swept the doubles point for the eighth time this season and won the doubles point for the 13th time. Niltooli Wilkins and Lucy Dougherty got things started with an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles to improve their season record to 14-2.
Dougherty got UNCG rolling in singles play with a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 5 to put the Spartans up 2-0. Dilara Yurtkuran made it a three-point lead for UNCG with her 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles.
Georgia Southern (8-10, 2-7 SoCon) was able to score its lone point of the match at No. 3 when Melanie Rolle was able to score a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 win. Whitehead came right back for UNCG with a 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 2 to clinch the win for the Spartans.
Wilkins then pushed her singles record to 14-2 this season with her 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 and Rogers closed things out with a 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (6) win at No. 6 singles.
The Spartans will continue their weekend road swing against College of Charleston on Sunday at 11 a.m. in a battle of the top two teams in the league.
UNCG 6, Georgia Southern 1
1. Stephanie MacFarlane/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Ali Beavers/Paola Garrido (GSU), 8-7 (10-7)
2. Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Ashley Hungerford/Caitlin Kitchen (GSU), 8-2
3. Mikayla Rogers/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Melanie Rolle/Natalie Maffett (GSU), 8-6
Order of finish: (2,3*1) *clinched doubles point
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Paola Garrido (GSU), 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Ali Beavers (GSU) 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-4
3. Melanie Rolle (GSU) def. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Natalie Maffett (GSU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Ashley Hungerford (GSU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Allison Beeler (GSU), 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
Order of finish (5,4,3,2*,1,6) *clinched match
- UNCG -