CHARLESTON, S.C. - In a conference battle of ITA ranked women's tennis teams, College of Charleston topped UNC Greensboro, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon.
The Spartans, still playing shorthanded due to an injury to top singles player Lucy Dougherty, received a double win from Annette Rios. Rios topped Laura Borza at No. 5 singles, rallying from down a set early on, and also won in doubles play with Jessica Eblen at No. 2 doubles.
But the Cougars, ranked No. 67, won the other five singles matches and two doubles matches to claim the remaining points and raised their mark to 8-5 overall and 3-0 in SoCon play.
The Spartans, ranked No. 66, dropped their third straight and fell to 5-4, 1-1 in league play. UNCG has to return to Statesboro, Ga. to complete a suspended match on Sunday. UNCG and Georgia Southern are tied, 3-3, with the three doubles matches remaining to be played.
1. Holly Dowse (COFC) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. Emma Hayman (COFC) def. Stephanie Macfarlane (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
3. Caroline Newman (COFC) def. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 7-6, 6-3
4. Kinsey Casey (COFC) def. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
5. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Laura Borza (COFC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Keely Mulligan (COFC) def. Sasha Skripkina (UNCG) 6-3, 6-0
1. Holly Dowse/ Emma Hayman (COFC) def. Alex Whitehead/Stephanie Macfarlane (UNCG) 8-4
2. Annette Rios/Jessica Eblen (UNCG) def. Anna Lee Evans/ Irene Viana (COFC) 8-4
3. Caroline Newman/ Laura Borza (COFC) def. Mikayla Rogers/Valerie Behr (UNCG) 8-5
- UNCG -