Dougherty wins 20th as Spartans top Samford, 6-1
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – UNC Greensboro rolled past Samford for its 13th win of the season on Sunday, a 6-1 victory over the host Bulldogs in Southern Conference women's tennis action.
Arielle VonStrolley, Britney Cloer and Lucy Dougherty each recorded straight set victories as the Spartans moved to 7-2 on the season in conference play. Dougherty, a freshman from Melbourne, Australia, blasted Beth Erwin, 6-1 and 6-1, for her 20th win of the season and remained perfect in league play. Dougherty is now 9-0 against Southern Conference opponents this season.
Alejandra Guerra, ranked No. 92 in the nation currently, also picked up a win in three sets at No. 1 singles, her 26th of the season.
At No. 1 doubles, VonStrolley and Guerra also earned their 21st win in doubles play this season (21-8) and moved to 8-1 in league play with an 8-2 win over Taylor Morgan and Stephanie Parkinson. Dougherty and Valerie Behr stayed perfect in league play (9-0) and moved to 16-7 overall, 14-3 this spring, with an 8-3 victory over Jessica Diamond and Andrie Meiring at No. 2 doubles.
UNCG (13-5, 7-2) will face Appalachian State on Tuesday in Boone at 3 pm in the regular season finale.
Tennis Match Results
UNC Greensboro vs Samford
Apr 12, 2009 at Birmingham, Ala.
(Samford Tennis Center)
UNC Greensboro 6, Samford 1
1. Alejandra Guerra (UNCG) def. MORGAN, Taylor (SAM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. MEIRING, Andrie (SAM) def. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
3. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) def. PARKISON, Stephanie (SAM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Britney Cloer (UNCG) def. DIAMOND, Jessica (SAM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. ERWIN, Beth (SAM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jessica Eblen (UNCG) def. No player (SAM), by default
1. Alejandra Guerra/Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) def. MORGAN, Taylor/PARKISON, Stephanie (SAM) 8-2
2. Lucy Dougherty/Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. MEIRING, Andrie/DIAMOND, Jessica (SAM) 8-3
3. Jessica Eblen/Britney Cloer (UNCG) def. No player/No player (SAM), by default
UNC Greensboro 13-5, 7-2 SoCon
Samford 7-10, 4-4 SoCon
- UNCG -