Guerra wins 29th, but Spartans knocked out of SoCon Tourney by Cougars
ELON, N.C. – Senior Alejandra Guerra extended her single season record with her 29th win of the year, but it was UNC Greensboro's only point of the afternoon as second-seeded College of Charleston eliminated the third-seeded Spartans, 4-1, in the semifinal round of the Southern Conference Women's Tennis Tournament on Saturday.
Guerra, a native of Tampico, Mexico, who is ranked No. 83 in the ITA's Top 125 this week, easily topped Laura Borza at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-0. But the Cougars swept won the doubles point and then swept through three more singles matches to advance to Sunday's championship match.
The Spartans, which were trying to make it to the finals for the first time since winning the Big South title in 1997, end their season at 15-6 on the year. Despite a mark of 29-8 this season, Guerra may be on the outside looking in for an NCAA Individual Tournament bid, but will wait to see what happens when the announcement of selections is made next week. The individual tournament will begin May 20 in College Station, TX.
College of Charleston 4, UNC Greensboro 1
1. Alejandra Guerra (UNCG) def. Laura Borza (COFC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Holly Dowse (COFC) vs. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
3. Caroline Newman (COFC) def. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
4. Anna Lee Evans (COFC) def. Britney Cloer (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
5. Keely Mulligan (COFC) vs. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
6. Kinsey Casey (COFC) def. Jessica Eblen (UNCG) 6-0, 6-2
1. Laura Borza/Anna Lee Evans (COFC) def. Alejandra Guerra/Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 8-2
2. Kinsey Casey/Keely Mulligan (COFC) vs. Lucy Dougherty/Valerie Behr (UNCG) 6-3, unfinished
3. Holly Dowse/Caroline Newman (COFC) def. Jessica Eblen/Britney Cloer (UNCG) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,1,6,3)
- UNCG -