CHARLESTON, SC – Top-seeded Furman moved onto Sunday’s championship round at the Southern Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-0 win over UNC Greensboro on Saturday morning at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
The fifth-seeded Spartans played the Lady Paladins closer than the final score indicated. The Spartans’ duo of Arielle VonStrolley and Erica Zabkar were winning at No. 1 doubles, 7-6, when Furman wrapped up the point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. UNCG was also ahead in the two of three singles matches that weren’t finished with the Paladins clinched the match with three singles victories.
UNCG, which advanced to the semifinal round for the first time since 2004, finishes its season with a 10-12 overall mark.
Furman 4, UNC Greensboro 0
1. Laura Gioia (FUR) def. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
2. Lauren Osborne (FUR) def. Emily Wade (UNCG) 6-0, 6-0
3. Bonnie Baird (FUR) vs. Erica Zabkar (UNCG) 4-6, 2-4, unfinished
4. Jacqueline Eckert (FUR) vs. Whitney Miles (UNCG) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. Lauren Tomory (FUR) def. Courtney Akel (UNCG) 6-2, 7-5
6. Natasa Manojlovic (FUR) vs. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
1. Laura Gioia/Natasa Manojlovic (FUR) vs. Arielle VonStrolley/Erica Zabkar (UNCG) 6-7, unfinished
2. Lauren Osborne/Jacqueline Eckert (FUR) def. Valerie Behr/Jess Eblen (UNCG) 8-2
3. Lauren Tomory/Lisa Bornt-Davis (FUR) def. Courtney Akel/Whitney Miles (UNCG) 8-5
- UNCG -