CHARLESTON, SC – Whitney Miles topped Paige Kensrue at No. 4 singles in a close two-set match to give fifth-seeded UNC Greensboro a measure of revenge and a 4-3 win over fourth-seeded Elon in a quarterfinal match Friday at the 2007 Southern Conference Women’s Tennis Championship.
It was the bottom of the line-up that came through for the Spartans on Friday as UNCG avenged a 5-2 loss at Elon last month. UNCG won the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles and then came away with singles wins at the Nos. 3, 4 and 6 positions to earn a date with top-seeded Furman on Saturday.
Earning singles wins for UNCG were Erica Zabkar, a winner over Kelley Moore, 6-1 and 6-2; Miles, a winner over Kensrue, 7-6 and 6-4; and Valerie Behr, a winner over Whitney Butcher, 6-4 and 6-3. Behr combined with Jess Eblen to win a doubles pro-set, as did the duo of Miles and Courtney Akel.
The win in the conference tourney was UNCG’s first since 2004 when it topped Appalachian State in the quarterfinals before losing to College of Charleston in the semifinals.
UNCG will face Furman on Saturday at 8:30 am at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
UNC Greensboro 4, Elon 3
1. Deanna Bailey (ELON) def. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 6-3, 6-0
2. Jenn Tucci (ELON) def. Emily Wade (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
3. Erica Zabkar (UNCG) def. Kelley Moore (ELON) 6-1, 6-2
4. Whitney Miles (UNCG) def. Paige Kensrue (ELON) 7-6, 6-4
5. Hayley Wahl (ELON) def. Courtney Akel (UNCG) 6-0, 6-4
6. Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. Whitney Butcher (ELON) 6-4, 6-3
1. Deanna Bailey/Jenn Tucci (ELON) def. Arielle VonStrolley/Erica Zabkar (UNCG) 8-5
2. Valerie Behr/Jess Eblen (UNCG) def. Kelley Moore/Hayley Wahl (ELON) 8-6
3. Courtney Akel/Whitney Miles (UNCG) def. Paige Kensrue/Whitney Butcher (ELON) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,6,4)
- UNCG -