GREENSBORO, NC – UNC Greensboro’s Erica Zabkar picked up her 20th win of the season and Whitney Miles won a three-set match, but UNC Greensboro came out on the short end of a 5-2 decision against Davidson in Southern Conference women’s tennis action Wednesday afternoon.
The junior from Atlanta, GA ran her record to 20-13 on the season, 11-7 on the spring campaign, when she topped Michele Fanney with identical 6-3 scores. It is the second time that she has recorded 20 wins in a season, notching a freshman record 23 victories two years ago.
Miles defeated Virginia Berry at No. 3 singles, 7-6, 6-7, 1-0, with an 11-9 score in the 10-point third-set tiebreaker.
But Davidson won the other four singles matches, two of them in three sets, and pulled out the doubles point with a wild win by Fanney and Lora Dushanova. Dushanova and Fanney had a 5-2 lead before Courtney Akel and Whitney Miles won five straight games to take a 7-5 win in the pro-set. But Fanney and Duschanova got it together to win, 9-8, including 8-6 in the tiebreaker.
UNCG (8-10, 3-5) returns to action on Friday when the Spartans host Appalachian State at 2:30 pm in another SoCon match-up.
Davidson 5, UNC Greensboro 2
1. Kelsey Linville (DAV) def. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 6-3, 6-2
2. Erica Zabkar (UNCG) def. Michele Fanney (DAV) 6-3, 6-3
3. Whitney Miles (UNCG) def. Virginia Berry (DAV) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0
4. Teresa Wang (DAV) def. Courtney Akel (UNCG) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0
5. Kim Whelan (DAV) def. Valerie Behr (UNCG) 6-3, 6-2
6. Lora Dushanova (DAV) def. Jess Eblen (UNCG) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. Arielle VonStrolley/Erica Zabkar (UNCG) def. Kelsey Linville/Kim Whelan (DAV) 8-5
2. Teresa Wang/Virginia Berry (DAV) def. Valerie Behr/Jess Eblen (UNCG) 8-5
3. Michele Fanney/Lora Dushanova (DAV) def. Courtney Akel/Whitney Miles (UNCG) 9-8
- UNCG -