GREENSBORO, NC – UNC Greensboro won two of three doubles matches and got singles wins from Valerie Behr and Jess Eblen, but College of Charleston pulled out two three-set wins to escape with a 4-3 win over the Spartans on Saturday afternoon in Southern Conference women’s tennis action.
Eblen rallied to defeat Amber Dyar, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, while Behr defeated Amanada Becker, 6-3, 7-6, after trailing Becker, 5-0, in the second set.
But College of Charleston’s Chelsea Albertz and Laura Borza both pulled out third-set wins at Nos. 1 and 2 singles, respectively, to end UNCG’s hopes.
Eblen and Behr teamed up to win at No. 2 doubles, while Arielle VonStrolley and Erica Zabkar won in a tiebreaker to give the Spartans the doubles point.
UNCG will return to action on Sunday when it hosts Georgia Southern at 1 pm.
1. Chelsea Albertz (COFC) def. Arielle VonStrolley (UNCG) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. Laura Borza (COFC) def. Erica Zabkar (UNCG) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
3. Anna Lee Evans (COFC) def. Whitney Miles (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
4. Holly Dowse (COFC) def. Courtney Akel (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
5. Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. Amanda Becker (COFC) 6-3, 7-6
6. Jess Eblen (UNCG) def. Amber Dyar (COFC) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
1. Arielle VonStrolley/Erica Zabkar (UNCG) def. Anna Lee Evans/Holly Dowse (COFC) 9-8
2. Jess Eblen/Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. Amanda Becker/Laura Borza (COFC) 9-7
3. Chelsea Albertz/Julia Howard (COFC) def. Courtney Akel/Whitney Miles (UNCG) 8-4
- UNCG -