Carnell leads UNCG to win over The Citadel on Senior Night
GREENSBORO, NC – Reigning SoCon Player of the Year Amy Carnell tied a school record with four assists as UNC Greensboro exploded for eight goals in the Spartans’ 8-1 win over The Citadel on Friday, Senior Night, at UNCG Soccer Stadium.
UNCG (10-5-1, 6-2-1 SoCon) wasted little time grabbing the early lead as senior Nicollette DeLaine put the Spartans ahead 1-0 just over five minutes into the game as she connected on a shot from three yards out off feeds from Carnell and Karla Davis. DeLaine struck again for the second goal in the 28th minute when she tallied her fourth goal of the season on a shot from over 30 yards out.
Carnell recorded her second assist of the contest in the 32nd minute when she fed Mary Kate Towne for a 20 yard blast that beat The Citadel keeper Angie Ellenwood. The Spartans held a 14-2 edge in first half shots while leading 8-0 in corner kicks.
Twin sisters Dacia and Deven Beachum accounted for UNCG’s fourth and fifth goals as the duo picked up scores just over six minutes apart. DeLaine notched her league-leading ninth assist of the season as she fed Dacia Beachum who laced a shot from 20 yards out to beat new keeper Brit Bunnell.
Cara Hammond recorded her team-leading seventh goal of the season in the 64th minute on a shot five yards out after passes from Carnell and Dacia Beachum. After Sarah Burke scored The Citadel’s lone goal of the night, Carnell gave the homestanding Spartans a six point advantage, scoring on a shot from five yards out. DeLaine upped her league-best helper total to 10 as she tallied her second assist of the evening, giving her a total of six points for the contest.
Carolyn Lindsay capped off the scoring outbreak with her first goal of the season in the 78th minute. Carnell collected her fourth assist of the night as she sent a beautiful through ball just inside the box where Lindsay deposited it into the back of the Bulldogs’ net. UNCG outshot the Bulldogs 22-4 in the second half and held a 36-4 advantage for the game. The Spartans also took 11 corner kicks while The Citadel managed none.
UNCG returns to the field Sunday afternoon when the Spartans travel to Furman for a key matchup with the Paladins. Should the Spartans pick up a road win at Furman, UNCG would leapfrog Furman into second place in the conference and would enter the SoCon Tournament as the No. 2 seed. Game time between the two rivals is set for 2 pm.
The Citadel 0 1 1
UNC Greensboro 3 5 8
1. 5:02 UNCG Nicollette DeLaine (3) (Amy Carnell;Karla Davis) - Three yard shot
2. 27:32 UNCG Nicollette DeLaine (4) (unassisted) - 30 yard shot right side
3. 31:31 UNCG Mary Kate Towne (3) (Amy Carnell) - Shot at top of box
4. 47:42 UNCG Dacia Beachum (4) (Nicollette DeLaine) - Beat defender one on one for 20 yard shot
5. 54:11 UNCG Deven Beachum (3) (Cara Hammond;Mary Kate Towne) - Shot 10 yards out
6. 63:14 UNCG Cara Hammond (7) (Amy Carnell;Dacia Beachum) - Shot five yards out
7. 74:24 CIT Sarah Burke (3) (Lauren Merchant) - Through ball just outside box
8. 74:48 UNCG Amy Carnell (4) (Nicollette DeLaine) - five yards out
9. 77:26 UNCG Carolyn Lindsay (1) (Amy Carnell) - 10 yards out after through ball
Shots: The Citadel 4, UNC Greensboro 36
Saves: The Citadel 8 (Brit Bunnell 5; Angie Ellenwood 3), UNC Greensboro 3 (Jennifer Stillman 3)
- UNCG -