UNCG set to square off against Binghamton and Old Dominion
UNCG (5-9) vs. Binghamton (13-6), at Old Dominion (6-10-1) Feb. 13, 3:30/5:30 p.m., Norfolk, Va.
- The UNCG wrestling team looks to snap a two match losing skid as it returns to the mat for the first time in eight days when they travel to Norfolk, Virginia to face Binghamton and Old Dominion.
- Last Saturday, UNCG faced off against SoCon rival Chattanooga and lost in heartbreaking fashion, 20-18. The Spartans started off on fire by taking four of the first five bouts, which was capped off by another impressive showing from sophomore Ivan Lopouchanski, who pinned Chattanooga's Alex Hudson at the 4:14 mark. However, Chattanooga would respond in a big way by taking the next four bouts and take a 20-15 lead. Coach Jason Loukides sent Caylor Williams to the mat at the 197-pound class for the final match of the afternoon. Williams put up a valiant effort in trying to score a pin, but Mocs' Niko Brown resisted the charge as Williams scored a 7-2 decision.
- On Thursday, Old Dominion hosted No. 6 Virginia Tech. The Hokies silenced the Monarchs, 31-6. The Monarchs would jump out to an early 3-0 lead thanks to an 8-2 victory from No. 4 James Nicholson (125 pounds) over No. 14 Jarrod Garnett. The Hokies dominated the rest of the match by taking eight of the final nine bouts. Trailing 25-3, Old Dominion won its second and final bout of the night at the 184-pound class when Joe Budi squeaked by Virginia Techs John Dickson, 5-4.
- Old Dominion will be led by No. 4 James Nicholson, who's having a spectacular year as he sports a flawless 26-0 record this season and a mind boggling 127-17 career record. Kyle Hutter (133) has had an impressive season as he sits 12th in the latest Intermat ranking. Hutter is 26-7 on the season.
- On Thursday, Binghamton improved to 13-6 on the season as it squeaked by Bloomsburg, 19-16. Both teams won five bouts, but the Bearcats got a shot in the arm when No. 11 Donnie Vinson (149) pinned the Huskies Matthew Hicks in the first period. Nate Schidel of Binghamton is ranked 17th at the 184-pound class and is 29-6 on the season.
- Binghamton leads the all-time series 2-0. The Spartans and Bearcats last faced off on Nov. 29, 2008. Binghamton defeated UNCG, 22-18.
- Old Dominion leads the all-time series 8-1. The Monarchs handled the Spartans last year on their way to a 36-7 victory at the ODU Duals on Jan. 3, 2010. The Spartans lone win came on Valentine's Day in 2004 when they won 23-19.
- Two Spartans have been furious out of the gates in the New Year as Lopouchanski and Peter Sturgeon are 7-1 in 2011
- Sturgeon (285 pounds) has been a force to be reckoned with as he leads the Spartans with five victories against ranked opponents including a victory over No. 13 Clayton Jack of Oregon State. Sturgeon only needed six seconds to pin Conor Sweeney of Bucknell. He is one of three Spartans with 20 wins thus far on the year. Byron Sigmon collected his 20th win on the season when he defeated Royal Brettrager of Liberty, 11-9. Teammate Lopouchanski leads the team with 32 wins.
- On Nov. 19, the Spartans hosted No. 4 Wisconsin for their first dual match of the season. UNCG jumped out to a 12-6 lead in the match, but dropped the final six weight classes to fall, 34-12. Manny Ramirez picked up a win at 125 pounds and Michael Crowley pinned his opponent at 141 pounds to start the match. Lopouchanski, then ranked No. 17, also pulled off a minor upset as he defeated No. 16 Cole Schmitt 9-7 at 149 pounds.
- UNCG -