UNCG (10-18) at Gardner-Webb (12-14), March 22, DH, 2 p.m., Boiling Springs, N.C.
LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com (via GWUSports.com)
• After a weeklong homestand, UNCG heads to Boiling Springs, N.C., to face Gardner-Webb on Thursday and kick off a 10-game road swing that will span two weeks.
• The Spartans picked up a 12-4 win over North Carolina A&T in the first game of a doubleheader Tuesday but game two was rained out with UNCG leading 2-0 in the second inning. Sophomore Katelyn Bedwell had a banner day in game one, missing the cycle by just a single and driving in a career-high five runs with a two-run triple and a three-run home run. Cory Mattson picked up the win in the circle and freshman Erica Navarette earned her second save of the season. Junior Eileen Horsmon hit a two-run double in the bottom of the first in game two to put UNCG up a pair early, but lightning and rain brought the game to a halt. It will be rescheduled for later in the season.
• Senior Alex Emeterio leads the Spartans with a .357 average and a .444 on-base percentage and has struck out just three times in 81 plate appearances. Sophomore Aisha Figueroa is hitting .320 and leads the team with six stolen bases, while Bedwell is hitting .306 with eight homers, 29 RBI and a .635 slugging percentage, all team bests. Junior Eileen Horsmon is hitting .299 with six homers and 24 RBI, both career bests.
• UNCG has hit 20 home runs in just 28 games this season and needs just three more to match last year's season total. Bedwell and Horsmon have combined for 14 of them, while Heather Robb has three, Emeterio has two and Tatiana Alcala has one. The 20 homers are tied for 11th-most in school history with the 1996 and 2002 squads. The Spartans' home run totals have soared under coach Jennifer Herzig, as six of the top 10 home run seasons in school history have come during Herzig's tenure (2006-present).
• Mattson leads UNCG with a 3.73 ERA and is 7-10 on the season. Navarette owns a 4.54 ERA and is 2-6 with two saves and sophomore Josie Felix is 1-2 with an 8.87 ERA.
• Emeterio is in the top 10 in school history in career batting average, hits, doubles, triples, RBI, slugging percentage and walks. With 204 hits to her credit, the school record of 227, shared by Karyn Thompson (1993-96) and Jennifer Bonilla (2004-07), is well within Emeterio's reach if she maintains her current pace. With a walk against Elon on Sunday, Emeterio moved into sole possession of third place in school history with 84.
• With 344 career strikeouts to her credit, Mattson is seven back of seventh-place Amy Poole (2000-03) on UNCG's all-time list.
• UNCG is 4-1 all-time against Gardner-Webb but lost the last meeting, 2-0 on March 10, 2007, at a tournament in Rock Hill, S.C. The Spartans are 2-0 against the Runnin' Bulldogs in Boiling Springs, sweeping a doubleheader on March 21, 1991.
• The Runnin' Bulldogs are off to a 12-14 start to the season and have gone 5-2 in their last seven contests. Gardner-Webb swept a doubleheader at South Carolina State on March 14 by scores of 13-4 and 9-0 in its last action.
• In game one against S.C. State, GWU plated 11 runs in the top of the second to put the game out of reach early. Six players had multi-hit games for the Runnin' Bulldogs, led by Jane Savage's 4-for-4 performance. Emily Bowman was 3-for-3 to pace GWU in game two as Cindy Boomhower tossed a two-hit shutout.
• The Runnin' Bulldogs have lost three games to top-10 foes this season, falling to No. 7 Georgia and No. 3 Florida twice.
• GWU's roster features five All-Big South Conference players. Samantha Meenaghan, Melinda Dulkowski and Morgan Baker were first-team selections last year, with Meenaghan earning Big South Freshman of the Year honors. McKenzie Morenus was a first-team selection in 2010, while Boomhower was a second-team pick that year.
• Meenaghan leads the Runnin' Bulldogs with a .418 average and 12 runs on the year. Dulkowski is hitting .322 and Savannah Burns is hitting .309. As a team, GWU hits .270. Morenus leads GWU with three homers and 14 RBI.
• In the circle, Boomhower is 5-2 with a 1.54 ERA and has struck out 39 batters while walking only 11. Boomhower threw a perfect game against UNCW on March 9 at the Winthrop/adidas Invite, earning all-tournament and Big South Pitcher of the Week honors for her performance at the tournament. Alyssa Gutierrez has seen the most innings for GWU, posting a 4-7 record with a 4.24 ERA.
• After Thursday's doubleheader, UNCG will take on Furman (Friday-Saturday), Samford (March 31-April 1) and Liberty (April 4) on the road before finally returning home to host Georgia Southern on April 6-7.
- UNCG -