UNCG opens SoCon play at App State this weekend
UNCG (6-13, 0-0 SoCon) at Appalachian State (9-7, 0-0 SoCon), March 10-11, Boone, N.C.
LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com (via GoASU.com)
• UNCG heads to Boone, N.C., this weekend for a three-game set at Appalachian State in the first Southern Conference series of the season for both teams. The squads will play a doubleheader Saturday and a single game Sunday at the Sywassink/Lloyd Family Stadium.
• Saturday's first game will be ASU's home opener.
• The Spartans are 1-2 on the week so far, picking up an 8-0 win over North Carolina Central on Wednesday and dropping a doubleheader at Charlotte on Thursday, 14-2 and 11-9.
• Bedwell, Eileen Horsmon and Alex Emeterio each had homers Thursday at Charlotte. UNCG held a 2-0 lead through three innings against the 49ers in game one, but Charlotte took advantage of four Spartan errors to score 14 unanswered runs and win the game in five innings. In game two, UNCG took an 8-5 lead during a six-run fourth, but the 49ers answered with five runs of their own in the bottom half and hung on for the win.
• After slumping to an .095 average through her first eight games, Bedwell is hitting a team-best .441 in the 11 games since then, with five homers and 15 RBI, also team bests over that span. She has hit safely in 10 of the 11 games. UNCG is 5-6 since then after opening 1-7.
• Overall on the season, Emeterio leads the team with a .350 average and a .458 on-base percentage. Horsmon is hitting .322 with 18 RBI and shares the team home run total with Bedwell with five. Bedwell's average has climbed to .309 and she has a team-high 19 RBI.
• Emeterio is in the top 10 in school history in career batting average, hits, doubles, triples, RBI, slugging percentage and walks.
• With 330 career strikeouts to her credit, Mattson is just two back of Amber Watson (2000-03) for eighth place in school history.
• UNCG trails the all-time series with App, 18-13. The Spartans have won three of the last five, but the Mountaineers took two of three last season in Greensboro. The Apps took a 6-2 win on April 16 and the teams split a doubleheader the following day, with ASU winning the first 1-0 before UNCG avoided the sweep with a 4-0 win in the final game. Mattson pitched all 14 innings for the Spartans in the doubleheader.
• UNCG and App State have had two common opponents thus far in N.C. Central and Charlotte. The Mountaineers split a doubleheader with Charlotte on Feb. 15 and have gone 4-0 against NCCU this year.
• App went 3-2 at USC Upstate's Subway Spartan Classic in Spartanburg, S.C., last weekend, picking up a pair of wins over NCCU and beating Dayton. The Mountaineers also dropped a game to Dayton and to USC Upstate.
• Megan Rembielak leads App with a .483 average, while Allie Cashion is hitting .404 with five homers and 18 RBI, both team bests. Sarah Warnock is hitting .391 for the Mountaineers, who are hitting .319 as a team.
• Cashion (outfield) and Meghan Smith (utility) were first-team preseason All-SoCon selections.
• Freshman Caroline Wainright is 4-2 with a team-best 2.53 ERA for the Apps, while older sister Caitlin Wainright, a senior is 4-4 with a 3.04 ERA.
This weekend's schedule
UNCG at Appalachian State (DH), 1 p.m.
UNCG at Appalachian State, 1 p.m.
- UNCG -