Chelimo, Katam head to NCAA Outdoor Championships
UNCG at NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships, June 6-9, Des Moines, Iowa
Live results: NCAA.com, Flashresults.com
Video: ESPNU, NCAA.com, ESPN3
Tournament Central: GoDrakeBulldogs.com
- Paul Chelimo and Paul Katam of the UNCG men's track & field team will travel to Des Moines, Iowa, to compete in the four-day NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships, hosted at Drake Stadium on the campus of Drake University, Wednesday through Saturday.
- Chelimo, of Chebiemit, Kenya, and Katam, of Eldoret, Kenya, are the first runners in school history to represent UNCG at the national championships.
- Both athletes are coming off regional victories in their respective events. Two weeks ago at the NCAA East Preliminary Round in Jacksonville, Fla., Katam edged Tito Medrano of Syracuse to claim the 10,000 meter title, while Chelimo held on to claim the title in the 5,000 meters. The regional titles were the first in school history.
- With a time of 13:21.89 in the 5,000m at the Payton Jordan Invitational in April, Chelimo has the third-fastest collegiate time in the event this season.
- At the NCAA Championships, Katam will run the 10,000m at 9:45 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday, while Chelimo will compete in the 5,000m on Friday at 8:10 p.m.
- Competitors that finish in the top eight in their events this weekend will earn All-America honors. Chelimo has already earned All-America honors in cross country and indoor track this academic year.
- Free live video coverage of the meet can be found across several platforms. ESPNU will televise Saturday's action from 12-2 p.m. (Eastern). The entire event will be streamed live through ESPN3.com, with the exception of Wednesday, which will be streamed at NCAA.com.
- Fans can follow the UNCG track & field coaches on Twitter for updates during the meets @UNCGXC.
- UNCG -