UNCG at Wake Forest Open, March 18-19, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- After a successful weekend at the UNCW Seahawk Invitational to open the outdoor track season, UNCG will return to action this weekend at the Wake Forest Open on Friday and Saturday.
- The meet will get under way on Friday at 9:30 a.m. and will wrap up with the 10,000 meter race at 7:05 p.m. Competition will resume on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. and the meet will end at 5:35 p.m. with the 1,600 meter relay.
- Michelle Chewens, Ginny Cronley, Jade Farlow, Tiffany Garber, Anna Grimes, Shannon Hall, Kerry Hartman, Mitchell Morgan, Danielle Merriman, Kelly Montague, Emily Morris, Jenna Paley, Ashley Schnell, Chelsea Sumney, Shaina Sumney, Emily Vasquez and Chelsea Willette will represent the women's team at the meet. These runners will compete in the 200 meters, 400 meters, 800 meters, 1,500 meters, 3,000 meters, 3,000 meter steeplechase and the 5,000 meters.
- Running for the men's team will be Tyron Alston, Jelani Bonner, Brian Carrington, Andy Clyne, Jermaine Coore, Taylor Day, Kenny Hinman, Bill Kane, Paul Katam, AJ Savoia, John Teeter, Joey Thompson, Ben Vasquez and Parker Wenos. They will run in the 100 meters, 200 meters, 800 meters, 1,500 meters and 3,000 meters.
- Last weekend, UNCG found success to open the outdoor season at the Seahawk Invitational. Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters by over five seconds as she turned in a time of 2:12.69. Chelsea Sumney was also impressive as she broke the school record in the 1,500 meters in a time of 4:44.08.
- For her efforts at the UNCW Seahawk Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Track Athlete of the Week on Wednesday.
- At the Southern Conference Indoor Championships two weekends ago, UNCG came away with a pair of league titles. Ashley Schnell became the first women's runner in school history to win a SoCon indoor crown as she earned top honors in the 3,000 meters after running a time of 9:52.39. Schnell also joined teammates Shaina Sumney, Shannon Hall and Kerry Hartman to win the SoCon title in the distance medley relay.
- Also at the SoCon Indoor Championships, the Spartans had a trio of runners who earned All-Freshman Team honors. Kenny Hinman led the group as he earned All-Freshman honors not only in the 3,000 meters, but in the 5,000 meters as well. Teammate Paul Katam joined Hinman on the All-Freshman Team honors in the 5,000 meters, while Kelly Montague was named to the All-Freshman Team in the mile.
- On Feb. 12 at the Tiger Paw Invitational, Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters at the Tiger Paw Invitational. Her time of 2:19.07 was nearly three seconds better than the previous school record set in 2008. The women's distance medley relay team also set a new school record by nearly 12 seconds.
- Back on Feb. 5, Ashley Schnell was the lone Spartan to compete at the Meyo Invitational. At the meet, she set another school record as she broke the previous mark in the 3,000 meters by just under 10 seconds with a time of 9:39.73. Her time was good enough for seventh place in the seeded race at the prestigious event.
- For her efforts at the Meyo Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Co-Athlete of the Week for women's indoor track. She shared the award with College of Charleston's Dena O'Brien.
- UNCG also competed at the Niswonger Invitational, where a majority of the team competed. Joey Thompson had a nice showing at the meet as he was edged out in the 3,000 meter race to earn runner-up honors after running a 8:40.20.
- At the Liberty Open, Schnell shattered the previous school record in the mile. Schnell ran a time of 5:00.68 to claim first place in the event and beat Jess Weber's 2006 school record by over 13 seconds.
- Shaina Sumney also broke one of Weber's school records last weekend as she sent a new top mark in the 800 meters by winning the event. Her time of 2:20.60 bested Weber's time by 1.15 seconds that she set in 2008.
- UNCG -