Spartans head to two separate meets this weekend
UNCG at Niswonger Invitational, Feb. 4-5, & Meyo Invitational, Feb. 5
- UNCG will send most of its team this weekend to the Niswonger Invitational in Johnson City, Tenn. this weekend, while Ashley Schnell will compete in the prestigious 24th Annual Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Ind. on Saturday.
- Live results of the Niswonger Invitational may be found by clicking here. Live scoring is unavailable for the Meyo Invitational.
- The 33rd Annual Niswonger Invitational, which is always one of the biggest indoor track meets nationally, will have over 90 teams in attendance and nearly 1,500 student-athletes competing. Action will start at 10 a.m. Friday morning and will conclude around 7 p.m. on Saturday.
- Competing for the women's team at the Niswonger Invitational will be Michelle Chewens, Ginny Cronley, Jade Farlow, Tiffany Garber, Anna Grimes, Shannon Hall, Kerry Hartman, Morgan Mitchell, Kelly Montague, Emily Morris, Jenna Paley, Chelsea Sumney, Shaina Sumney and Emily Vasquez. The women's team will be competing in the 200m, 800m, mile, 3,000m and 5,000m.
- Tyron Alston, Jelani Bonner, Brian Carrington, Andy Clyne, Ben Constantinides, Jermaine Coore, Taylor Day, Kenny Hinman, Bill Kane, Paul Katam, Mike Koech, AJ Savoia, John Teeter, Joey Thompson, Ben Vasquez and Parker Wenos will represent UNCG men's team at the Niswonger Invitational. The men's team will be competing in the 200m, 800m, mile, 3,000m and 5,000m.
- Redshirt junior Ashley Schnell will be the lone Spartan represented at the Meyo Invitational this weekend. She will be competing in the 3,000 meter race and will run on Saturday at 4:20 p.m. in the seeded race.
- Last weekend, Schnell shattered the previous school record in the mile at the Liberty Open. Schnell ran a time of 5:00.68 to claim first place in the event and beat Jess Weber's 2006 school record by over 13 seconds.
- Shaina Sumney also broke one of Weber's school records last weekend as she sent a new top mark in the 800 meters by winning the event. Her time of 2:20.60 bested Weber's time by 1.15 seconds that she set in 2008.
- The Spartan men also had a nice showing at the Liberty Open last weekend as the team came away with a 1-2 finish in the mile. Joey Thompson edged out teammate Jermaine Coore by just three tenths of a second as they ran a 4:24.95 and a 4:25.22, respectively.
- UNCG -