Men's Tennis Beats Texas-Pan American, 4-0
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team defeated Texas-Pan American 4-0 Tuesday, at the UNCG tennis courts.
"We played hard and got the victory today," said head coach Thomas Mozur. "I feel like these matches have prepared us for a tough conference stretch starting with No. 61 nationally, Samford."
UNCG won two of three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead in the match against Texas-Pan American.
The doubles point came down to No. 1 doubles as freshman Daniel Mack (Lakeland, Fla./Lakeland) and junior Ahmet Sarioglu(Ankara, Turkey/METU Development Foundation) won a tight 8-6 match against Sebastien Job and Alejandro Sanoja. Mack and Sarioglu clinched the match after Sarioglu held on his serve.
In singles play, Mack won at No. 4 in an easy two sets against Sanoja, before Phillips took down Panditi at No. 3, 6-3, 6-3.
At No. 6, Albright clinched the match when he beat Alves, 6-3, 6-2.
The Spartans return to action when they head to Birmingham Alabama to face Samford (No. 61) Thursday, March 14 at 3 p.m.
UNCG 4, Texas-Pan American 0
1. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) vs. Thomas Panoulas (UTPA) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
2. Gaston Murray (UNCG) vs. Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
3. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Alejandro Sanoja (UTPA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) vs. Joseph Bishop (UTPA) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
6. William Albright (UNCG) def. Victor Alves (UTPA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Daniel Mack/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Sebastien Job/Alejandro Sanoja (UTPA), 8-6
2. Ricardo Hopker/Chetan Panditi (UTPA) def. Gaston Murray/Cameron Smith (UNCG), 8-3
3. Randy Phillips/William Albright (UNCG) def. Thomas Panoulas/Victor Alves (UTPA), 8-3