MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – Fourth-seeded UNCG saw its season come to an end with a 4-1 loss at the hands of No. 5 seed Furman in the quarterfinals of the Southern Conference Men's Tennis Championship at the College of Charleston Tennis Center on Friday.
UNCG finished the season 9-13 overall. Furman improved to 9-14-1.
The Paladins, who avenged a regular-season loss and eliminated UNCG from the tournament in the quarters for the second straight season, pulled out to the early 1-0 lead with wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles.
First-team All-SoCon doubles selections Orcun Seyrek and Ahmet Sarioglu picked up an 8-4 win over Alex Christ and Joel Cook at No. 1, but Tyler Droll and Andrew Mellow nabbed an 8-4 win over Randy Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul at No. 2 to even the score.
Jacob Behal and Luke Synn clinched the point for Furman, taking an 8-4 win over Jimmy Roueche and Cameron Smith at No. 3 to put the Paladins on top heading into singles play.
Droll made it a 2-0 Furman lead with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Roueche at No. 6 before Phillips, a SoCon All-Freshman pick, got UNCG on the board with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Behal at No. 4.
Christ wrapped up his 6-4, 6-2 win over second-team All-SoCon pick Sarioglu at No. 2 to put Furman on the brink of the win, and Mellow, a first-team All-SoCon selection, topped Seyrek, the SoCon Player of the Year, 7-5, 6-3 at No. 1 to clinch the match and eliminate the Spartans.
Seyrek, a senior, wrapped up his career as a two-time league player of the year and earned all-conference honors four times in singles and three times in doubles. The 2009 SoCon Freshman of the Year, as well, he went 92-32 in singles in his career and 63-43 in doubles.
Two matches were left unfinished. Varapongsittikul topped Cook in the first set at No. 3, 7-5, but Cook was leading the second 5-2 when the match was abandoned. At No. 5, Robby Aru was leading Smith 6-2, 4-2.
Furman 4, UNCG 1
1. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 7-5, 6-3
2. Alex Christ (FUR) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
3. C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) vs. Joel Cook (FUR) 7-5, 2-5, unfinished
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Jacob Behal (FUR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) vs. Robbie Aru (FUR) 2-6, 2-4, unfinished
6. Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
1. Ahmet Sarioglu/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Alex Christ/Joel Cook (FUR) 8-4
2. Tyler Droll/Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Randy Phillips/C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 8-4
3. Jacob Behal/Luke Synn (FUR) def. Jimmy Roueche/Cameron Smith (UNCG) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,4,2,1)
- UNCG -