UNCG (6-7) at East Carolina (10-6), March 21, 2:30 p.m., Greenville, N.C.
- UNCG's men's tennis team will take a brief break from Southern Conference play when it heads to Greenville, N.C., on Wednesday for a match at East Carolina.
- The Spartans, who have alternated wins and losses over their last eight matches, are looking for their first back-to-back wins since topping Gardner-Webb and UNC Asheville on consecutive days in early February. UNCG downed Davidson on Saturday, 5-2, to move to 3-1 in league play.
- The top four players in the UNCG lineup powered the Spartans to the win over the Wildcats. Ahmet Sarioglu and Orcun Seyrek teamed for a win at No. 1 doubles and Randy Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul won at No. 2. In singles play, Seyrek won at No. 1, Sarioglu at No. 2, Varapongsittikul at No. 3 and Phillips at No. 4 to send the Spartans to the win.
- Seyrek is ranked 11th in singles in the Carolinas Region by the ITA. A three-time All-Southern Conference selection, Seyrek was 20-11 in singles last year, marking his third straight season with 20+ singles wins.
- Sarioglu, a sophomore, leads the team in singles wins with a 15-7 mark on the season and is 9-4 in dual play, all at No. 2. Seyrek is second on the squad in wins at 12-8 with a 9-4 dual mark of his own, all at No. 1. Phillips is also in double digits with a 10-12 record, including a 6-7 record at No. 4.
- In doubles play, Sarioglu and Seyrek are a team-best 11-6 with a 9-4 mark at No. 1. Varapongsittikul and Phillips are 11-7 with a 7-6 mark at No. 2. Cameron Smith and Jimmy Roueche are 3-10 at No. 3.
- East Carolina has lost two straight matches, both by 4-3 scores. The Pirates are 7-3 at home after a 7-0 start.
- In Sunday's 4-3 loss to George Washington, ECU's Joran Vliegen and Neils Cleeren took a win at No. 1 doubles but the Colonials took the point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. In singles play, the bottom three in the Pirates' lineup – John Schmitt, Damien Brenard and Mario Martinez – all grabbed wins.
- Schmitt (10-4) and Brenard (10-6) share the team lead in wins with 10 each. Schmidt is 5-2 at No. 3, while Brenard is 4-1 at No. 4. Vliegen is 9-4 overall with an 8-4 record at No. 1.
- In doubles play, Schmitt and Patriek Wolterbeek are 7-1 together and own a 6-0 mark at No. 3. Vliegen and Nicolas Soriano are 8-4, all at No. 1. Cleeren and David Masciorini are 6-5 at No. 2.
- UNCG and ECU both competed at the Elon Invitational and the USTA/ITA Regional Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., in October.
- The Spartans took a 5-2 win over ECU in Greensboro on March 23 of last season to snap a three-match losing streak to the Pirates.
- Looking ahead, UNCG heads to the Upstate of South Carolina for matches at SoCon foes Furman and Wofford on Friday and Saturday, respectively.
- UNCG -