MEMPHIS, Tenn. – UNCG got off to a solid start by winning the doubles point, but Tennessee Tech rallied with four singles wins to take a 4-3 decision on neutral ground Saturday as the Spartans dropped their dual opener on the campus of the University of Memphis.
Sophomore Ahmet Sarioglu and freshman Randy Phillips were double winners for the Spartans (0-1), nabbing wins in singles and doubles play.
Sarioglu and senior Orcun Seyrek got the day started right by rolling to an 8-2 win over Syrym Abdukhailikov and Artem Tarasov at No. 1 doubles, but Justin Kirstein and Vasily Eremeev pulled the Golden Eagles (1-3) even with an 8-3 win over UNCG sophomore Jimmy Roueche and freshman Cameron Smith at No. 3.
Phillips and sophomore Chanon Varapongsittikul clinched the point for the Spartans at No. 2, taking an 8-4 win over Alex Chen and Alejandro Augusto Bueno.
In singles play, Phillips put UNCG up 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Tarasov at No. 4. Abdukhailikov put TTU on the board with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Seyrek at No. 1, and Bueno evened the match with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Varapongsittikul at No. 3.
Sarioglu made it 3-2 in the Spartans' favor with a gutsy performance at No. 2, overcoming a first-set setback to take a 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 win over Chen.
Kirstein topped Smith at No. 5, 6-2, 6-4, to again draw TTU level, while Eremeev clinched the match at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Roueche.
UNCG returns to action Sunday against the No. 46 Memphis Tigers at 10 a.m. Eastern time.
Tennessee Tech 4, UNCG 3 (at Memphis, Tenn.)
1. Syrym Abdukhailikov (TTU) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG), 6-4, 6-4
2. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Alex Chen (TTU), 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
3. Alejandro Augusto Bueno (TTU) def. Chanon Varapongsittikul (UNCG), 7-5, 7-5
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Justin Kirstein (TTU) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG), 6-2, 6-4
6. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) def. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 4,1,3,2,5,6
1. Seyrek/Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Abdukhailikov/Tarasov (TTU), 8-2
2. Phillips/Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Chen/Bueno (TTU), 8-4
3. Kirstein/Eremeev (TTU) def. Roueche/Smith (UNCG), 8-3
Order of finish: 1,3,2
- UNCG -