CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – UNCG's men's tennis team came up short in its bid to defend its Southern Conference Championship title, falling in the quarterfinal round to Furman on Thursday, 4-1 at the Champions Club.
The third-seeded Spartans, the 2010 champions of the event, finished the season with a 15-6 overall record. Sixth-seeded Furman improved to 9-17 and will face second-seeded College of Charleston in Friday's semifinal round.
UNCG's lone point of the day came from freshman Ahmet Sarioglu at No. 4 singes. Sarioglu, a second-team All-SoCon selection and an All-Freshman pick, cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Tyler Droll, but that was the Spartans' only win of the afternoon.
The Paladins got things rolling early by taking the doubles point. Sawyer Duncan and Andrew Mellow teamed up for an 8-4 win over Orcun Seyrek and Timion Meijs at No. 1, while Droll and Robbie Aru downed Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul by an identical score at No. 3.
In singles play, Sarioglu picked up his win to even the score, but Furman rattled off three straight wins to clinch the match.
Cook topped Varapongsittikul at No. 5, 6-1, 6-3, and Christ followed suit with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Litus at No. 3. Duncan clinched the match at No. 1, dropping Seyrek 6-4, 6-4.
Meijs and Mellow were heading to a third set when their match was abandoned, as Mellow took the first set 7-5 before Meijs claimed a 6-1 win in the second. Aru was leading Wright 6-3, 4-1 at No. 6 when the match was clinched.
Furman 4, UNCG 1
1. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) vs. Andrew Mellow (FUR) 5-7, 6-1, unfinished
3. Alex Christ (FUR) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Tyler Droll (FUR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Joel Cook (FUR) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jacob Wright (UNCG) vs. Robbie Aru (FUR) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
1. Sawyer Duncan/Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-4
2. Jacob Wright/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) vs. Joel Cook/Alex Christ (FUR) 6-6, unfinished
3. Tyler Droll/Robbie Aru (FUR) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,5,3,1)
- UNCG -