MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – UNCG's return to the top of the Southern Conference standings was a brief one, as College of Charleston downed the Spartans 7-0 on Saturday to take over first place in the league standings.
UNCG (14-5, 7-2 SoCon) entered the day alone atop the league standings, with CofC (13-5 7-1 SoCon) and Elon a half-game back. The Spartans, who led the league for the first half of the season, had reclaimed the top spot by knocking off Elon on Wednesday to leapfrog the Phoenix.
The Cougars clinched the doubles point with a win at No. 3, as Billy Kenny and Mickael Trintignac downed Chanon Varapongsittikul and Ahmet Sarioglu, 8-5. Stephen Hardy and Tom Delme cruised past Yaroslav Litus and Jacob Wright at No. 2, 8-1.
The match was closer than the final score indicated, as the Cougars took one singles match in three sets and two others in super tiebreakers.
Trintignac got things going for CofC with a 7-6 (7-2), 6-2 win over Meijs at No. 2, and Mickael Boyer downed Sarioglu at No. 4, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, both needing tiebreak wins in the first sets.
In a battle of the last two SoCon Players of the Year, Koncilia, the 2010 winner, bested Seyrek, the 2009 winner, at No. 1, 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the match for the Cougars.
Litus won his first set at No. 3, 6-2, but Delme rallied to win the next two by scores of 6-1 and 6-3 to remain undefeated in league play.
Parker and Varapongsittikul waged an epic battle at No. 5, with Varapongsittikul picking up a 7-5 win in the first set before Parker claimed the second by the same score. Parker won the super 10-5.
Hardy iced the win with his victory over Wright at No. 6. Like Varapongsittikul, Wright won his first set 7-5 but saw Hardy rally for the 6-3 win in the second set. Hardy claimed the super by a 10-5 score to complete the shutout for CofC. Hardy and Wright each entered the match undefeated in league play at No. 6.
UNCG will close the regular season on Monday when it hosts Furman at the UNCG Tennis Courts. The Senior Day contest will begin at 2:30 p.m.
College of Charleston 7, UNCG 0
1. Lukas Koncilia (COFC) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
3. Tom Delme (COFC) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Kyle Parker (COFC) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 5-7, 7-5, 10-5
6. Stephen Hardy (COFC) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
1. Timion Meijs/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Lukas Koncilia/Kyle Parker (COFC) 8-6
2. Stephen Hardy/Tom Delme (COFC) def. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 8-1
3. Billy Kenny/Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 8-5
UNCG 14-5 (7-2 SoCon)
College of Charleston 13-5 (7-1 SoCon)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)
- UNCG -