UNCG eases past The Citadel 7-0 on Sunday
For UNCG coach Thomas Mozur's post-match comments, click here.
GREENSBORO, N.C.– UNCG swept through doubles and singles play to cruise to a 7-0 win over The Citadel on Sunday. The Spartans won every singles match in straight sets.
UNCG (13-4, 6-1 Southern Conference) ran its home winning streak to six matches, while the Bulldogs fell to 3-18 overall and 0-8 in the league.
Orcun Seyrek and Timion Meijs got the day off to a good start with an 8-2 win over David Orces and Derek Dickey at No. 1 doubles. Ahmet Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul downed Josh Cook and Jeremiah Dye by the same score at No. 3 to lock up the doubles point for the Spartans. Yaroslav Litus and Jacob Wright completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win over James Atkinson and Dillon Berkabile at No. 2.
In singles play, Varapongsittikul quickly downed Cook 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5, while Seyrek wrapped up his 6-2, 6-1 win over Orces at No. 1 a few minutes later.
Wright clinched the match with his 6-2, 6-0 win over Elliott Sperr at No. 6. Litus smoked Berkabile 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3, and Meijs took a 6-0, 6-2 win over Dickey at No. 2.
Sarioglu wrapped up the day with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Atkinson at No. 4.
The Spartans will host SoCon-leading Elon on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. in a battle of the top two teams in the SoCon.
UNCG 7, The Citadel 0
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. David Orces (CIT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Derek Dickey (CIT) 6-0, 6-2
3. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. James Atkinson (CIT) 7-5, 6-1
5. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Josh Cook (CIT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Elliott Sperr (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
1. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. David Orces/Derek Dickey (CIT) 8-2
2. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. James Atkinson/Dillon Berkabile (CIT) 8-3
3. Ahmet Sarioglu/Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Josh Cook/Jeremiah Dye (CIT) 8-2
The Citadel 3-18, 0-8 SoCon
UNCG 13-4, 6-1 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,6,3,2,4)
- UNCG -