Spartans drop East Carolina 5-2 for seventh straight win
For UNCG coach Thomas Mozur's post-match comments, click here.
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG's men's tennis team took a 5-2 win over East Carolina on Wednesday, picking up its seventh straight victory.
The Spartans (11-3) got on the board first by winning a hotly contested doubles point. Ahmet Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul got things going with an 8-6 win over Nathan Smiley and Massimo Mannino at No. 3. The Pirates pulled even with Joran Vliegen and Jaroslav Horvath's 8-6 win over Orcun Seyrek and Timion Meijs at No. 1, but Yaroslav Litus and Jacob Wright secured the doubles point for UNCG with a 9-7 win over Henrik Skalmerud and Stian Tvedt at No. 2.
Vliegen got ECU (10-5) on the board with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Litus at No. 3, but Varapongsittikul wrapped up a 6-2, 6-1 win over Skalmerud at No. 5 just moments later to put UNCG up 2-1.
Sarioglu topped John Schmitt at No. 4, 6-2, 6-4, to put the Spartans on the brink of the win, and Meijs clinched the victory with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Horvath at No. 2.
Seyrek, the reigning Southern Conference Player of the Week, completed his 6-1, 6-3 win over Mannino at No. 1 just seconds after Meijs wrapped up, putting UNCG up 5-1.
Tvedt downed Zach Reece at No. 6 singles 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 for the final margin.
"I think we played very well," UNCG coach Thomas Mozur said. "They've beaten us 4-3 the last two years, so there's a little bit of in-state pride to the match, and some recruiting battles to go along with it, as well. I think we played well and we got the 'W'."
UNCG returns to action Friday at Appalachian State. That match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
UNCG 5, East Carolina 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Massimo Mannino (ECU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Jaroslav Horvath (ECU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. John Schmitt (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Henrik Skalmerud (ECU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Stian Tvedt (ECU) def. Zach Reece (UNCG) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Joran Vliegen/Jaroslav Horvath (ECU) def. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-6
2. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Henrik Skalmerud/Stian Tvedt (ECU) 9-7
3. Ahmet Sarioglu/Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Nathan Smiley/Massimo Mannino (ECU) 8-6
East Carolina 10-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,4,2,1,6)
- UNCG -