CHARLOTTE, N.C. – UNCG won its fifth straight match Saturday, dropping Charlotte 5-2 at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex.
The Spartans (9-3) opened by winning the doubles point for the fourth time in the last five matches. At No. 1, Orcun Seyrek and Timion Meijs grabbed an 8-4 win over Moritz Bernhoerster and Charles Martin-Lecamp, but Charlotte's Michael Anders and Chris Hyynh downed Zach Reece and Ahmet Sarioglu 9-7 at No. 3 to draw the 49ers even.
Yaroslav Litus and Jacob Wright continued their hot play of late to clinch the doubles point, topping Anthony Davison and Krzysztof Kwasniewicz at No. 2, 8-6, for their sixth win in their last seven matches.
In singles play, Reece breezed to a 6-0, 6-1 win over Victor Theorin at No. 6 to get things started. Seyrek followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Martin-Lecamp at No. 1, but Bernhoerster downed Litus at No. 3, 6-2, 6-0, to keep UNCG from clinching just yet.
Davison pulled the 49ers (3-12) within a point at 3-2 with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Sarioglu at No. 4, but Chanon Varapongsittikul locked up the win for the Spartans with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 win over Alex Weber at No. 5.
Meijs finished the day with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory over Anders at No. 2.
The win was UNCG's third straight on the road. UNCG wraps up a four-match road swing when it returns to Southern Conference play at Davidson on Saturday. The match is slated for a 1 p.m. start.
UNCG 5, Charlotte 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. C. Martin-Lecamp (CHA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Michael Anders (CHA) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Moritz Bernhoerster (CHA) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
4. Anthony Davison (CHA) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
5. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Alex Weber (CHA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
6. Zach Reece (UNCG) def. Victor Theorin (CHA) 6-0, 6-1
1. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Moritz Bernhoerster/C. Martin-Lecamp (CHA) 8-4
2. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Anthony Davison/K. Kwasniewicz (CHA) 8-6
3. Michael Anders/Chris Huynh (CHA) def. Zach Reece/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,3,4,5,2)
- UNCG -