UNCG continues road trip at Chattanooga on Saturday
UNCG (7-3, 2-0 SoCon) at Chattanooga (6-6, 1-0 SoCon), March 12, 1 p.m., UTC Tennis Courts
• UNCG will look to stay atop the Southern Conference standings when it faces Chattanooga on the road Saturday at 1 p.m. at the UTC Tennis Courts.
• The Spartans won their third straight match Thursday, downing Samford 5-2 in Birmingham, Ala., to move to 2-0 in league play. UNCG won the doubles point for the third straight match after winning it just once in its first seven, then picked up four singles wins.
• UNCG opened SoCon play with a 6-1 win over Wofford on March 5. The win was the Spartans' third straight in SoCon-openers.
• The Spartans have won three straight over Chattanooga, with their last loss to the Mocs coming in 2007.
• UNCG is trying to start 3-0 in SoCon play for the third straight season. The Spartans opened league play 6-0 in 2009 and 8-0 in 2010.
• Junior Orcun Seyrek was named the SoCon Player of the Week for the third time in his career on Wednesday for his efforts against Wofford. Seyrek picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles and an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles.
• Against Samford on Thursday, Timion Meijs, Yaroslav Litus, Ahmet Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul picked up singles wins. Seyrek lost at No. 1, while redshirt freshman Zach Reece dropped his first match of the dual season at No. 6.
• UNCG has gotten impressive performances at the bottom of the singles lineup this season, as the Spartans are 9-1 at No. 6 and 7-3 at No. 5.
• Youth has served the Spartans well so far this season. Three freshmen are regular contributors in singles play, and the three lead the squad in dual wins. True freshman Sarioglu is off to an 8-2 dual start and leads the team lead with 15 overall wins (15-6). Reece, a redshirt freshman, is 6-1 on the season in dual play and 14-5 overall on the year. Varapongsittikul, another true freshman, is 7-3 in dual play and 14-7 overall on the season.
• Seyrek, UNCG's No. 1 singles player, is 5-5 in duals but 13-7 overall. Litus is 6-4 in duals and 12-7 overall and has won three straight.
• Sarioglu and Varapongstittikul are 5-1 as a doubles pairing and 3-0 in dual play. The duo has won five straight matches dating back to the fall. Litus and Wright are 9-5 overall as a doubles team and 4-4 in duals.
• Chattanooga is off to a 6-6 start but has won its last five to even its record. The Mocs are 1-0 in SoCon play, having opened with a 4-3 win over Davidson on Sunday. In that match, Chattanooga won the doubles point, then got singles wins from Roberto Vieira at No. 1, Trent Cobb at No. 3 and Jackson Tresnan at No. 4. Tresnan's win clinched the match.
• Last time out, Chattanooga took a 6-1 win over Murray State on Thursday. The Mocs swept the doubles matches, then got wins at Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 in singles.
• Tresnan has found the most success for the Mocs in singles play, as he is 9-3 in duals and 11-7 overall. He is 8-0 at No. 4 and is the only UTC player in double digits in wins on the year. Cobb is 9-9 overall and 5-7 in duals, including an 0-5 mark at No. 1. Vieira (8-7 overall, 5-4 dual) and R. van de Bovenkamp (7-6, 5-4) also have winning overall records.
• Chattanooga has tried out 21 different combinations in doubles play this season. Chris Smith and Vieira are 7-3 overall and 4-3 in duals, while Cobb and William Disterdick are 5-1 this season, all in dual play. The duo is 2-0 at No. 1 and 3-1 at No. 3.
• The Mocs participated in the UNCG Fall Invitational in September.
- UNCG -