Spartans top Longwood on Tuesday, 5-2
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG won its second straight match Tuesday, stepping out of conference play to down Longwood 5-2 at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
For the second straight match, the Spartans (6-3) won the doubles point after winning it just once in their first seven contests. Freshmen Ahmet Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul grabbed an 8-2 win over Nobu Tanaka and Crescente Lesser at No. 3 for UNCG's first win of the afternoon. Jacob Wright and Yaroslav Litus picked up their fourth straight doubles win to clinch the point, downing Edward Becker and Milo Barajas-Alexander at No. 2, 8-4.
Seyrek got things going quickly in singles play, blasting Tanaka 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1. Davis got the Lancers (3-4) on the board with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Sarioglu at No. 4, and redshirt freshman Zach Reece gave UNCG a 3-1 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Becker at No. 6.
Varapongsittikul clinched the match at No. 5, wrapping up a 7-5, 6-0 win over Barajas-Alexander.
Ferrigno and Meijs staged quite the battle at No. 2, with Meijs winning the first set 7-5 before Ferrigno took the second 6-4. Ferrigno earned a 10-7 win in the tiebreaker to take the win.
Litus and Lesser were last to finish, with Lesser claiming the first set 6-4 and Litus rallying for a 7-5 win in the second set. Litus then gutted out a 12-10 win in the tiebreaker, rattling off three straight points after Lesser picked up match point at 10-9.
UNCG returns to play Thursday when the Spartans visit Samford in Birmingham, Ala. The match is set for 2 p.m.
UNCG 5, Longwood 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Nobu Tanaka (LW-M) 6-0, 6-0
2. Marc Ferrigno (LW-M) def. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Crescente Lesser (LW-M) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (12-10)
4. Jimmy Davis (LW-M) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. M. Barajas-Alexander (LW-M) 7-5, 6-0
6. Zach Reece (UNCG) def. Edward Becker (LW-M) 6-3, 6-3
1. Jimmy Davis/Marc Ferrigno (LW-M) def. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-6
2. Jacob Wright/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Edward Becker/M. Barajas-Alexander (LW-M) 8-4
3. Ahmet Sarioglu/Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Nobu Tanaka/Crescente Lesser (LW-M) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,4,6,5,2,3)
- UNCG -