For video of UNCG coach Thomas Mozur's postmatch comments, click here.
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Featuring a revamped lineup, UNCG won its Southern Conference opener for the third straight season, downing Wofford on Saturday 6-1 at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
UNCG coach Thomas Mozur tinkered with his doubles lineup with outstanding results, as the Spartans (5-3, 1-0 SoCon) – who had won the doubles point just once this season and only five doubles matches total – swept all three matches to take an early 1-0 lead over the Terriers (4-6, 0-1 SoCon).
The new No. 3 tandem of freshmen Chanon Varapongsittikul and Ahmet Sarioglu got on the board first, cruising to an 8-2 win over Jack Seiffert and Randall Heffron. Orcun Seyrek and Timion Meijs, playing together for the first time in their careers, picked up an 8-4 win over Tinus Van Wyk and Stuart Robertson at No. 1 to clinch the point.
"We had to change some things," Mozur said. "We worked very hard on our doubles all week. We had some new combinations; actually, we only kept (Litus) and Jacob together and we switched 1 and 3, and it worked out. I kind of went on my gut, and I got lucky, I guess.
"A 6-1 win over a good quality team and being 1-0 in the conference is a good start," Mozur continued. "It's good to get the first win."
The Spartans kept the momentum from doubles going into singles play, as Seyrek wrapped up a quick 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1 to make it 2-0. Litus followed with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Robertson at No. 3, and Meijs finished a 6-1, 6-2 win over Schecter at No. 2 shortly thereafter to clinch the win.
Redshirt freshman Zach Reece remained undefeated in dual singles play with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) win over Tom Wood at No. 6 to move to 5-0 on the season. Playing at No. 4 for the first time this season, Sarioglu upped his dual record to 7-1, rebounding from a first-set loss to down Donald, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Wofford picked up its lone point at No. 5 singles, where Drew Superstien pulled out a dramatic 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (11-9) win over Varapongsittikul.
The Spartans will step back out of SoCon play to host Longwood on Tuesday at the UNCG Tennis Courts at 3 p.m.
UNCG 6, Wofford 1
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Tinus Van Wyk (WOF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Michael Schecter (WOF) 6-1, 6-2
3. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 6-3, 6-0
4. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Alan Donald (WOF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Drew Superstein (WOF) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (11-9)
6. Zach Reece (UNCG) def. Tom Wood (WOF) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Orcun Seyrek/Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Tinus Van Wyk/Stuart Robertson (WOF) 8-4
2. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Alan Donald/Michael Schecter (WOF) 8-4
3. Ahmet Sarioglu/Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Jack Seiffert/Randall Heffron (WOF) 8-2
Wofford 4-6, 0-1 SoCon
UNCG 5-3, 1-0 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,6,4,5)
- UNCG -