UNCG stays unbeaten in SoCon, tops Wofford
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Orcun Seyrek extended his personal winning streak to 11 straight matches and picked up win No. 20 on the season as UNC Greensboro remained unbeaten in SoCon play with a 5-2 win at Wofford in men's tennis action Saturday afternoon.
Seyrek was a double-winner on the day, teaming with Arsel Kumdereli to clinch the doubles point and then handing Tinus Van Wyk at No. 1 singles, 6-2 and 6-0. Seyrek, the SoCon Freshman and Player of the Year last year with a 25-5 mark, is now 20-4 on the year, including an 11-1 mark this spring. The win was his 11th in a row in singles action. He and Kumdereli are also 11-6 in doubles play this season, including a 9-3 mark during the spring slate.
Kumdereli, Jacob Wright and Timion Meijs also earned wins in singles action for the Spartans, who are now 11-2 on the season. Meijs is also 11-1 during the spring slate, 19-5 overall on the season. The win was his fifth in a row and the 10th in his last 11 matches.
UNCG returns to action on Wednesday when they visit East Carolina for a 3 p.m. match.
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Tinus Van Wyk 6-2, 6-0
2. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def Stuart Robertson 7-6,6-3
3. Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Alan Donald 7-6, 6-4
4. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) def. Yaroslav Litus 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
5. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Michael Schecter 6-3, 7-6
6. Tom Wood (WOF) def. William John 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
1. Seyrek/Kumdereli (UNCG) def Donald/Van Wyk 8-6
2. Robertson/ Wood (WOF) def Kyle Eddins/John 8-2
3. Wright/Litus (UNCG) def Drew Superstein/Bartholomy 8-4
- UNCG -