GREENSBORO, N.C. - Timion Meijs and Arsel Kumdereli won straight-set singles matches to cap off UNC Greensboro's 4-3 win over Elon in Southern Conference men's tennis action Wednesday afternoon.
The Spartans (12-3, 5-0) defeated the Phoenix for the first time since 2005 and remained unbeaten at home this season. The Spartans are 9-0 at UNCG Tennis Courts this season and have now won 12 straight dating back to last season.
After Elon won a closely contested doubles point, the Spartans won four of the six singles matches to rally for the win. Timion Meijs, Arsel Kumdereli and Orcun Seyrek all won singles matches in straight sets. For Seyrek, it was his 13th straight win in singles play. Seyrek raised his mark to 22-4 overall this year, while Meijs won his 20th match of the year and moved his record to 20-6.
The Spartans return to action Saturday when they host Davidson for a 1 p.m. match.
UNCG 4, Elon University 3
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Philip Nemec (ELON) 6-0, 6-4
2. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Chase Helpingstine (ELON) 7-5, 6-3
3. Eric Turner (ELON) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
4. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Alberto Rojas (ELON) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
5. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Cody Stauffer-MacDowell (ELON) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
6. Thomas Darling (ELON) def. William John (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
1. Arsel Kumdereli/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Alberto Rojas/Chase Helpingstine (ELON) 8-5
2. Cody Stauffer-MacDowell/Philip Nemec (ELON) def. William John/Kyle Eddins (UNCG) 8-4
3. Thomas Darling/Eric Turner (ELON) def. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 8-5
- UNCG -