CHARLESTON, S.C. - UNC Greensboro's Orcun Seyrek saw his streak of 15 straight victories in singles play snapped as the Spartans suffered their first conference loss of the season, falling at No. 74 College of Charleston, 6-1, in Southern Conference men's tennis action.
In a showdown of unbeaten teams in SoCon play, the Cougars won five of six singles matches, but not easily. Seyrek battled Lukas Koncilia at No. 1 singles, but dropped a 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 decision. Jacob Wright won the opening set at No. 3 singles before falling to Tom Delme, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2.
The Cougars moved to 15-3 on the year, 9-0 in SoCon play, with the win. UNCG, which had a four-game winning streak snapped, fell to 15-4 overall and 8-1 in league play. The Spartans lost for just the second time in the last 11 outings.
UNCG, which has already wrapped up a spot in the SoCon Tournament closes out the regular season when it visits Furman on Sunday.
#74 College of Charleston 6, UNC Greensboro 1
1. Lukas Koncilia (COFC) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 7-6, 6-3
3. Tom Delme (COFC) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-2, 6-3
5. Timion Meijs (UNCG) def. Kyle Parker (COFC) 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (12-10)
6. John Harden (COFC) def. William John (UNCG) 6-3, 6-1
1. Lukas Koncilia / Tom Delme (COFC) def. Arsel Kumdereli/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 8-5
2. John Harden/ Kyle Parker (COFC) def. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 8-4
3. Mickael Trintignac /Mickael Boyer (COFC) def. William John/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-5