GREENSBORO, NC – Needing to win to have a chance for the No. 3 seed in next week's Southern Conference Tournament, UNC Greensboro did its part on Friday afternoon, defeating The Citadel, 5-2, in men's tennis action.
UNCG will await the outcome of Saturday's match between Wofford and Samford to know whether it will be the No. 3 seed. A Wofford win would give the Terriers the No. 3 seed by virtue of tiebreaker. A Samford win and the Spartans will be the No. 3 seed next week.
Friday against The Citadel, UNCG (14-7, 7-3) won two of three doubles matches – all of which were tight – to just up out to a 1-0 lead. Then, singles wins by Orcun Seyrek, Andrey Bubnov, William John and Taylor Befus gave UNCG its fourth win in the last five outings.
Seyrek's win over Yufo Suntantio at No. 1 singles, 6-3 and 6-1, made him 24-4 overall on the year, 19-2 on the spring. Bubnov, a senior from Belgorod, Russia playing in his final home match, made easy work of Michael Kociecki at No. 2 singles, 6-1 and 6-0. Bubnov is now 15-10 on the year, including 9-1 in league play.
The Bulldogs dropped to 8-13, 1-8 in the league on the season. They still have to visit Elon on Saturday to close out the regular season.
Southern Conference Tournament action gets underway with first round action on Thursday on the Elon campus. The Spartans will play in a quarterfinal match on Friday at the Burlington Tennis Center. The game time will either be 9 am or 1 pm, depending on seeding.
UNCG 5, The Citadel 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Michael Kociecki (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
4. William John (UNCG) def. Martin King (CIT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Derek Dickey (CIT) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-3, 6-2
6. Taylor Befus (UNCG) def. Frank Larkin (CIT) 6-2, 6-1
1. Orcun Seyrek/Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Yufo Sutantio/Martin King (CIT) 8-6
2. Derek Dickey/Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. Taylor Befus/William John (UNCG) 8-5
3. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) def. Michael Kociecki/Josh Cook (CIT) 8-6
- UNCG -