Furman ousts UNCG, 4-0, in SoCon Tournament
ELON, NC – Top-seeded Furman ended UNC Greensboro's hopes of a men's tennis conference title on Saturday with a 4-0 win over the fourth-seeded Spartans in the semifinal round of the Southern Conference Men's Tennis Tournament.
The Paladins (21-7) jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning a pair of doubles pro-sets to start things off. The Spartans were hoping to bounce back in singles play as they have throughout the season, but Furman won four first sets pretty quickly, including a 6-1 win by Andy Juc over freshman phenom Orcun Seyrek. Seyrek had topped the nationally-ranked Juc during the regular season on his way to the Southern Conference Player of the Year award.
The Spartans just never recovered from there, dropping three matches to end their season. Juc beat Seyrek in the second set by an identical 6-1 score. Daniel Knouse finished off Jacob Wright at No. 3 singles, 6-2 and 6-1, as did Sawyer Duncan in his match with Kyle Eddins at No. 6 singles.
UNCG closes out the season at 15-8, perhaps the greatest improvement in the nation this season with a 12-win increase over last season's 3-20 mark.
Furman 4, UNC Greensboro 0
1. Andy Juc (FUR) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-1, 6-1
2. Bo Ladyman (FUR) vs. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
3. Daniel Knause (FUR) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
4. Chris Motes (FUR) vs. William John (UNCG) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
5. Jordan Walters (FUR) vs. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 7-6 (7-4), unfinished
6. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) def. Kyle Eddins (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
1. Bo Ladyman/Andy Juc (FUR) def. Andrey Bubnov/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 8-1
2. Chris Rhyne/Chris Motes (FUR) def. William John/Taylor Befus (UNCG) 8-4
3. Jordan Walters/Andrei Chvetsov (FUR) vs. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 5-4, unfinished
- UNCG -