Wofford snaps UNCG streak, 4-3
GREENSBORO, NC – Wofford College handed UNC Greensboro is first conference loss of the season, downing the Spartans, 4-3, in men's tennis action Saturday afternoon.
Freshman Orcun Seyrek ran his mark to 19-3 on the season with
his 10th straight singles win.
Despite the loss, the Spartans (10-5, 5-1) are still in contention for the Southern Conference title. UNCG will host Furman on Sunday. The Paladins (16-7, 7-0) defeated Elon, 5-2, on Saturday to take over sole possession of first place in the league. Elon is now 6-1 in league play, followed by UNCG at 5-1. The Spartans could still win the league title by winning outright, starting with Furman on Sunday. UNCG also takes on Elon on the road on April 15.
Orcun Seyrek won his 19th match of the season when he topped Stuart Robertson in straight sets at No. 1 singles on Saturday. In defeating Robertson by identical 6-2 scores, the freshman from Istanbul, Turkey ran his record to 19-3 on the season and won his 10th straight match. He also teamed with Arsel Kumdereli for a doubles win as the duo moved to 14-4 this year.
UNCG also got singles wins from Kumdereli and Andrey Bubnov, but Wofford claimed the doubles point and wins at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 singles to hand the Spartans their first conference setback of the season and end their winning streak at four straight.
UNCG faces Furman beginning at 12 noon on Sunday.
Wofford 4, UNCG 3
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Danny Manlow (WOF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Scott Collins (WOF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Tinus van Wyk (WOF) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
5. Alan Donald (WOF) def. William John (UNCG) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) def. Kyle Eddins (UNCG) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
1. Orcun Seyrek/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Stuart Robertson/Danny Manlow (WOF) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Alan Donald/Paul Bartholomy (WOF) def. Andrey Bubnov/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 8-3
3. Scott Collins/Tinus van Wyk (WOF) def. William John/Taylor Befus (UNCG) 8-4
- UNCG -