UNCG falls at No. 34 North Carolina State
RALEIGH, NC – North Carolina State, the No. 34 ranked team in the nation this week, won four of six singles matches in straight sets on its way to a 7-0 win over UNC Greensboro in men's tennis action Sunday night.
UNCG's Orcun Seyrek got off to a good start at No. 1 singles, topping 89th-ranked Jay Weinacker in the opening set by a 6-4 score. However. Weinacker rallied to win the last two by scores of 6-2 and 6-3.
At No. 5 singles, UNCG freshman Jacob Wright gave Eric Turner fits, as well. After having to go to tie-breaker before Turner won the opening set, Wright won the second set by a 6-4 score. However, Turner won a 10-point tie-breaker to claim the match, 10-6.
The Spartans (3-2) return to action next Sunday when they host Navy at 12 noon.
1. No. 89 Jay Weinacker (NCSU) d. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) d. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG), 6-2, 6-4
3. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) d. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG), 6-2, 6-2
4. Derek Stephens (NCSU) d. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG), 6-2, 6-4
5. Eric Turner (NCSU) d. Jacob Wright (UNCG), 7-6(5), 4-6, 1-0(6)
6. Akash Gujarati (NCSU) d. Kyle Eddins (UNCG), 7-6(3), 6-3
1. Welte/Sullivan (NCSU) d. Seyrek/Kumdereli (UNCG), 8-3
2. No. 38 Weinacker/Pulgar (NCSU) d. John/Eddlins (UNCG), 8-3
3. Lowe/Prandecki (NCSU) d. Bubnov/Litus (UNCG), 8-0
- UNCG -