WILMINGTON, NC – UNC Greensboro’s Andrey Bubnov and Arsel Kumdereli earned straight-set singles wins, but UNC Wilmington came away with the upper hand in a 5-2 win in men’s tennis action on Thursday afternoon.
Bubnov topped Gustavo Bertei at No. 1 singles, 6-2 and 6-3, for his 10th win of the spring season. Kumdereli swept away Kinshuk Sharma in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3.
Bubnov also earned a win in doubles action, teaming with Yaroslav Litus. However, the Seahawks won the other two doubles pro-sets and the four remaining singles matches to raise their record to 13-6 on the season.
UNCG hosts Wofford at 12 noon on Saturday.
UNC Wilmington 5, UNC Greensboro 2
1. Andrey Bubnov-Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) d. Kinshuk Sharma-Michael Pereira (UNCW) 8-5
2. Brian Ford-Gustavo Bertei (UNCW) d. William John-Taylor Befus (UNCG) 8-4
3. Alex Wetherell-Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) d. Andrew Clark-Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 8-2
1. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) d. Gustavo Bertei (UNCW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) d. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) 6-4, 6-3
3. Michael Pereira (UNCW) d. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
4. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) d. William John (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Wetherell (UNCW) d. Taylor Befus (UNCG) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Brian Ford (UNCW) d. Andrew Clark (UNCG) 6-0, 6-1
- UNCG -