No. 75 Davidson tops UNCG, 6-1
DAVIDSON, NC – UNC Greensboro won two of the three doubles pro-sets to just out to a 1-0 lead, but Davidson stormed back to grab a 6-1 victory in Southern Conference men’s tennis action Thursday evening.
The Spartans jumped out to a 1-0 lead when Martin Redelinghuys and Arsel Kumdereli topped Eric Noble and Sam Burns, 8-3, and William John and Taylor Befus defeated the duo of Phillip Compeau and Scott Myers, 8-6.
But the Wildcats, ranked No. 75 in the nation this week, stormed back to win all six singles matches, five of them in straight sets. Befus recorded the lone set win at No. 6 singles, winning the opening set over Arie Hefter, 7-6. Hefter came back to win the second set, 6-4, and then won a 10-point tiebreaker for the third set, 10-8.
UNCG returns to action on Saturday when it hosts Georgia Southern for a 2 pm Southern Conference match.
Davidson 6, UNC Greensboro 1
1. Redelinghuys/Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Noble/Burns (DAV) 8-3
2. Simihaian/Lyons (DAV) def. Bubnov/Litus (UNCG) 8-7
3. John/Befus (UNCG) def. Phillip Compeau/Myers (DAV) 8-6
1. Flaviu Simihaian (DAV) def. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
2. Eric Noble (DAV) def. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
3. Walker Lyons (DAV) def. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
4. Sam Burns (DAV) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-3, 7-5
5. Scott Myers (DAV) def. William John (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
6. Arie Hefter (DAV) def. Taylor Befus (UNCG) 6-7, 6-4, (1-0) 10-8
- UNCG -