Appalachian St. edges UNCG in SoCon men's tennis match-up, 4-3
BOONE, NC – UNC Greensboro’s Andrey Bubnov extended his winning streak to four in a row in singles competition, but Appalachian State edged UNCG, 4-3, in a Southern Conference men’s tennis match Saturday afternoon.
Bubnov, a junior from Belgorod, Russia, swept past Bobby Lake at No. 1 singles, 7-6 and 6-2, to earn his fourth straight victory and sixth in his last eight singles matches. UNCG had opened up an early 1-0 lead in the match by sweeping all three doubles matches, including an 8-2 win by Bubnov and Yaroslav Litus over Ryan Brookshaw and Lee Floyd.
But the Mountaineers won all four singles matches in straight sets to seal the victory. UNCG secured the other point when Taylor Befus won at No. 6 singles over David Doverspike, 8-5.
UNCG returns to action on Thursday when it travels to Davidson for a Southern Conference match-up, slated to begin at 2 pm.
Appalachian State 4, UNC Greensboro 3
1. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Bobby Lake (ASU) 7-6, 6-2
2. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) def. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 7-6, 6-1
3. Trent Constance (ASU) def. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lee Floyd (ASU) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-1, 7-5
5. Peter Jacobs (ASU) def. William John (UNCG) 6-2, 6-1
6. Taylor Befus (UNCG) def. David Doverspike (ASU) 8-5
1. Arsel Kumdereli/Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Bobby Lake/Trent Constance (ASU) 8-6
2. Andrey Bubnov/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Ryan Brookshaw/Lee Floyd (ASU) 8-2
3. Taylor Befus/William John (UNCG) def. David Doverspike/Peter Jacobs (ASU) 8-5
- UNCG -