Redelinghuys wins tiebreaker to give UNCG first SoCon win
GREENSBORO, NC – Martin Redelinghuys won a third-set tiebreaker, 7-4, over Razvan Axente for the deciding point as UNC Greensboro topped Chattanooga, 4-3, in Southern Conference men’s tennis action Friday afternoon.
The Spartans (2-12, 1-3 SoCon) got straight-set singles wins from Andrey Bubnov, William John and Taylor Befus to forge a 3-3 tie. At No. 3 singles, Redelinghuys had dropped the first set, 7-6, but rallied to win the second 6-2. He then clinched the match and snapped UNCG’s nine-match losing skid by winning the third set in the deciding tie-breaker.
At No. 1 singles, Bubnov defeated Bador Bouabdellah by identical 6-4 scores for his fifth win in the last seven matches. John and Befus won their matches at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, John defeating Hosan Hamadeh, 6-2 and 6-0, while Befus topped Robert Diamond, 6-4 and 7-6, 7-4 in the tiebreaker.
UNCG returns to action on Saturday when it visits Appalachian State for a 1 pm conference clash.
UNCG defeats Chattanooga, 4-3
1. Bador Bouabdellah/Pavel Vostrikov (CHAT) def. Martin Redelinghuys/Arsel Kumdereli, 8-5
2 Yaroslav Litus/Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Hosan Hamadeh/ Peter Sauska, 8-5
3. Razvan Axente/Robert Diamond (CHAT) def. Taylor Befus/William John 8-5
1. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) de. Bador Bouabdellah, 6-4, 6-4
2. Peter Sauska (CHAT) def. Arsel Kumdereli, 6-3, 6-3
3. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Razvan Axente, 6-7, 6-2, 7-6(4)
4. Pavel Vostrika (CHAT) def. Yaroslav Litus, 6-3, 6-3
5. William John (UNCG) def. Hosan Hamadeh, 6-2, 6-0
6. Taylor Befus (UNCG) def. Robert Diamond, 6-4, 7-6(4)
- UNCG -