The Citadel wins the close ones, tops UNCG, 7-0
CHARLESTON, SC – UNC Greensboro took three singles matches to a third and deciding match and nearly stole away the doubles point, but dropped its second consecutive Southern Conference men’s tennis match, a 7-0 decision at The Citadel on Thursday afternoon.
Arsel Kumdereli, Yaroslav Litus and Taylor Befus were all up a set in their singles matches, but fell in decisive third sets.
Taylor Befus and Martin Redelinghuys teamed up to win at No. 3 doubles, topping Martin King and Frederic Petrilli, 8-6. But the Bulldogs came away with the doubles point with a pair of narrow victories in the other two pro-sets to grab the point.
The Spartans (1-10, 0-2) will return to action on Sunday against College of Charleston in Charleston beginning at 12:30 pm.
THE CITADEL 7, UNCG 0
1. Daniel Dossetor (CIT) def. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6
2. Yufo Sutantio (CIT) def. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. James Eason (CIT) def. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
4. Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Martin King (CIT) def. William John (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
6. Frederic Petrilli (CIT) def. Taylor Befus (UNCG) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. James Eason/Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. William John/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 9-8
2. Daniel Dossetor/Yufo Sutantio (CIT) def. Andrey Bubnov/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 8-5
3. Taylor Befus/Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Martin King/Frederic Petrilli (CIT) 8-6
- UNCG -