UNCG falls to Davidson in SoCon Tourney's opening round, 4-2
CHARLESTON, SC – UNC Greensboro’s Martin Redelinghuys and Arsel Kumdereli picked up straight-set wins in singles action, but Davidson won a pair of crucial third sets to pick-up a 4-2 win in the opening round of the 2007 Southern Conference Men’s Tennis Tournament at the Earle Tennis Center on the campus of The Citadel.
Redelinghuys, a junior from Cape Town, South Africa, topped John Bolton, 7-6 and 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Meanwhile, Kumdereli, a freshman from Mersin, Turkey, defeated Scott Myers by a pair of 6-3 scores at No. 4 singles.
However, the ninth-seeded Wildcats claimed the doubles point and a straight-set win by Ethan Jaffee at No. 3 singles. Then, Davidson’s Falviu Simihaian and Sam Burns won decisive third sets at Nos. 1 and 6 singles, respectively, to take the match and advance to Friday’s quarterfinal round. Davidson will face top-seeded Elon.
Eighth-seeded UNCG, which had beaten Davidson six days earlier in Greensboro to close out the regular season, wrapped up its season with a 7-15 mark.
Davidson 4, UNC Greensboro 2
1. Flaviu Simihaian (DAV) def. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
2. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. John Bolton (DAV) 7-6, 6-3
3. Ethan Jaffee (DAV) def. Ian Conchar (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
4. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Scott Myers (DAV) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jason Steinhorn (UNCG) vs. Eric Noble (DAV) 7-6, 6-7, 1-3, unfinished
6. Sam Burns (DAV) def. William Adeimy (UNCG) 0-6, 7-6, 7-6
1. Andrey Bubnov/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) vs. Flaviu Simihaian/John Bolton (DAV) 8-7, unfinished
2. Sam Burns/Ethan Jaffee (DAV) def. Martin Redelinghuys/Ian Conchar (UNCG) 8-4
3. Phillip Compeau/Eric Noble (DAV) def. William John/William Adeimy (UNCG) 8-2
- UNCG -