Bottom of the line-up gives UNCG its first SoCon win of the season
GREENSBORO, NC – Winning at the bottom three slots of the singles order, UNC Greensboro earned its first conference win of the season on Saturday, defeating The Citadel, 4-3, in men’s tennis action.
The Spartans (6-13, 1-7 SoCon) got commanding straight-set singles wins from Arsel Kumdereli, Jason Steinhorn and William Adeimy at the Nos. 4, 5 and 6 slots to notch their first league win of the season. Kumdereli topped Derek Jose, 6-1 and 6-2, while Jason Steinhorn handled Frederic Petrilli, 6-3 and 6-1. Adeimy was just as impressive, beating Jerry Graham, 6-0 and 6-1.
Martin Redelinghuys also teamed up with Ian Conchar to win a doubles pro-set, as did Adeimy and William John, to give the Spartans the doubles point.
UNCG returns to action on Wednesday when it hosts in-state rival UNC Wilmington at 3 pm.
UNC Greensboro 4, The Citadel 3
1. Daniel Dossetor (CIT) def. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0
2. James Eason (CIT) def. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) 6-4, 6-0
3. Alberto Diaz (CIT) def. Ian Conchar (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6
4. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Derek Jose (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jason Steinhorn (UNCG) def. Frederic Petrilli (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. William Adeimy (UNCG) def. Jerry Graham (CIT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Daniel Dossetor/James Eason (CIT) def. Andrey Bubnov/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 9-7
2. Ian Conchar/Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) def. Alberto Diaz/Derek Jose (CIT) 8-6
3. William John/William Adeimy (UNCG) def. Frederic Petrilli/Jerry Graham (CIT) 8-3
- UNCG -