GREENSBORO, NC – UNC Greensboro’s trio of Andrey Bubnov, Arsel Kumdereli and Jason Steinhorn won singles’ matches in straight sets, but Appalachian State squeaked past for a 4-3 win in Southern Conference men’s tennis action Saturday afternoon.
The decisive point game at No. 6 singles when David Doverspike defeated William Adeimy in a third set tiebreaker. Adeimy won the opening set, 6-3, before Doverspike won the second, 7-5. The third set went back and forth with Adeimy forcing the tiebreaker by holding serve at 6-5. Doverspike, however, finally won the match in the tiebreaker, 7-4.
Bubnov had topped Trent Constance at No. 1 singles, 6-1 and 6-1, while Kumdereli rolled past Peter Jacobs at No. 4 singles, 6-0 and 7-5. Steinhorn topped Lee Floyd at No. 5 singles by a pair of 6-4 scores.
UNCG will return to action on Sunday when it hosts Davidson at 1 pm.
Appalachian State 4, UNC Greensboro 3
1. Andrey Bubnov (UNCG) def. Trent Constance (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) def. Martin Redelinghuys (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
3. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) def. Ian Conchar (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
4. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) def. Peter Jacobs (ASU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Jason Steinhorn (UNCG) def. Lee Floyd (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
6. David Doverspike (ASU) def. William Adeimy (UNCG) 3-6, 7-5, 7-6
1. Dimitar Dimitrov/Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) def. Andrey Bubnov/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 9-7
2. Trent Constance/Peter Jacobs (ASU) def. Martin Redelinghuys/Ian Conchar (UNCG) 8-6
3. William Adeimy/William John (UNCG) def. David Doverspike/Lee Floyd (ASU) 8-6
- UNCG -